Are my eggs dead

Ab1010

Songster
Jul 27, 2020
I have eggs in the incubator. They are bantam eggs and I set them to lock down day 17. Its now been three days. I was dumb and I opened it and candled them.. i saw one had internally pipped. I made sure to do it quickly and put them back exactly the same position. It hasn't hatched and now its night.. none have hatched or externaly pipped.. im worried..

What was your humidity days 1-18? And hen what was the humidity for lockdown? Humidity is usually the culprit if there are issues
It was 30-40 and 99.5 degrees. Now I have it at 60-70 and 99.8 degrees

The air sack looked huge in some of the ones I candled.. is that ok? I didnt see movement.. ive never done bantam eggs before and im worried i did something wrong.
Bantam eggs can hatch earlier then others, a big air sack is a fantastic sign! I hope the best for you, but I am not very experienced with hatching, I only know what I know from here. Good luck, Avery

Hello,
In my opinion, it all depends on your incubator and how well it works at circulating air. Believe me, you are not dumb! It is ok to open the incubator on lockdown for good reasons. It generally won't hurt the eggs, even when they are pipping. Eggs don't usually hatch until day 21 or a little bit after. You shouldn't be too worried about it. Keep an eye on the egg. If it doesn't hatch within a day to a day and a half, you should try and help the chick by cracking the shell to make it a little bit easier for the chick to hatch. Good luck!

Feel free to ask me any questions, or if you have any concerns!

Hello,
In my opinion, it all depends on your incubator and how well it works at circulating air. Believe me, you are not dumb! It is ok to open the incubator on lockdown for good reasons. It generally won't hurt the eggs, even when they are pipping. Eggs don't usually hatch until day 21 or a little bit after. You shouldn't be too worried about it. Keep an eye on the egg. If it doesn't hatch within a day to a day and a half, you should try and help the chick by cracking the shell to make it a little bit easier for the chick to hatch. Good luck!

Feel free to ask me any questions, or if you have any concerns!
Theyer bantam eggs though. Ive been told those hatch sooner then others?

Keep it up, just wait and see! Keep us posted, sometimes it can take longer then you expect! This is why I could never hatch without a broody. Because in an incubator, you have to watch the eggs, and with a broody, you just wait and see if they hatch! You don't have to worry about it as much! Avery

Back
Top Bottom