Are my eggs too old?? Hatching storebought duck and quail eggs...

Hello @WhistlePig! For Quail eggs, do not give up on them entirely yet! Some quail eggs are near impossible to even try seeing. For example, I had a quail egg that I thought was a dud, but when I opened it I found a live chick. If you don't see the egg getting dark by day 10, probably not fertilized. :( As for chickens, you should be able to see something by day 12. If the egg is bright and clear, away from the incubator! Could you update on the ducks? What duck breed?

Hello @WhistlePig! For Quail eggs, do not give up on them entirely yet! Some quail eggs are near impossible to even try seeing. For example, I had a quail egg that I thought was a dud, but when I opened it I found a live chick. If you don't see the egg getting dark by day 10, probably not fertilized. :( As for chickens, you should be able to see something by day 12. If the egg is bright and clear, away from the incubator! Could you update on the ducks? What duck breed?
Thank you!! By day 10 they were still not showing and upon cracking some open they were, if not unfertilized, totally undeveloped. I really would like to hatch quail one day and will remember this for when I buy actual hatching eggs :) I wish California quail were easier to come by/cheaper! They are so adorable.

To answer about the ducks, I'm totally unsure about the duck breed, but the babies are doing great, due to hatch on the 17th if all goes well. The grocery eggs I bought were from an Asian food store in my town and the brand of eggs was Robinson Farms. All I have to go on is that the picture on the label is of a white duck with a yellow/orange bill. The website I found has no pictures at all of the facilities or birds in question. It's going to be fun to see waht comes out! I'm not partial to white ducks but if they're at all personable I might keep a couple and give the others to people who want good layers :)

I’ve never hatched anything but stupid ideas, BUT I do believe duck eggs take longer than chicken eggs to hatch, I don’t think they should be in the same incubator the next time you hatch.

I’ve never hatched anything but stupid ideas, BUT I do believe duck eggs take longer than chicken eggs to hatch, I don’t think they should be in the same incubator the next time you hatch.
Yeah, it's 21 days for chicks and 28 for most duckies. Sadly none of the chicken eggs were good. I guess there was no rooster where they were laying! That's okay, though. I was going a bit chick crazy when I bought all the eggs. That's 3 different brooders at different times~ maybe it's just fine that only the ducklings are on their way :)

Back
Top Bottom