Are my emus male or female?? Pictures posted help!

Kennas_Kritters

Songster
Dec 30, 2019
Polk City, FL
My Coop
My Coop
Hello! This is my first post so bare with me! Are my emus male or female?? Below are pictures that have the emus labeled "male" or "female" which is just my best guess but I really have no clue! They are not DNA tested so I thought maybe someone here might know... the one labeled female is bigger and has a skinnier head than the smaller one labeled male. These are my first emus and they are AMAZING I mainly want to know gender so I can name them cause right now it's just "baby emus" 😂 also any guesses on age?? They just started losing the head stripes recently and are growing like wild fire! Any help greatly appreciated. Oh and any treats your picky emus like? Mine would rather eat screws than kale 🤦‍♀️(dont worry the yard has been cleaned of all debris) but they are so picky! Only one likes to eat bugs the other could care less but I give them crickets when I find then in the yard the suspected male LOVES them the female.... not so much 🤣
20200708_182714.jpg
20200708_183045.jpg
20200708_182535.jpg
20200708_182816.jpg
20200708_182952.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200708-180500_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200708-180500_Gallery.jpg
    906.7 KB · Views: 2
Lol love your photos, I have kept Emus for 13 years now, from my experience, girls are bigger then boys, if you have a magnet, ( craft shops sell them) ... attach it to some ribbon or fine string, dangle it about 6" above back of neck, hold still and watch....if it circles it's a girl....swings back and forth a boy.....stays still, not fertile.....try it on other pet you know the sex.. and for any eggs before incubating, to save valuable space and unwanted males. .... good luck and hope you soon know lol..
Calla.

Hello! This is my first post so bare with me! Are my emus male or female?? Below are pictures that have the emus labeled "male" or "female" which is just my best guess but I really have no clue! They are not DNA tested so I thought maybe someone here might know... the one labeled female is bigger and has a skinnier head than the smaller one labeled male. These are my first emus and they are AMAZING I mainly want to know gender so I can name them cause right now it's just "baby emus" 😂 also any guesses on age?? They just started losing the head stripes recently and are growing like wild fire! Any help greatly appreciated. Oh and any treats your picky emus like? Mine would rather eat screws than kale 🤦‍♀️(dont worry the yard has been cleaned of all debris) but they are so picky! Only one likes to eat bugs the other could care less but I give them crickets when I find then in the yard the suspected male LOVES them the female.... not so much 🤣
View attachment 2234740View attachment 2234741View attachment 2234747View attachment 2234743View attachment 2234742
View attachment 2234740View attachment 2234741View attachment 2234747View attachment 2234743View attachment 2234742

QUOTE]

I honestly thought it was a joke. A friends dad used to tell us to pick a puppy up and look at the bottom of its feet. Basically you gotta look underneath. Sorry for my sad attempt at humor :/

Love your Emus. I want one. I watch these YouTubers, White House on the Hill, they have emus. You can send in their feathers to find out their genders.

You can't tell by looking at them. DNA sexing is nearly the only way until they get old enough to start making male and female noises. They CAN be vent sexed, but you can injure them doing this, so it's probably best not to unless you really know what you're doing.

The 'head markings' method does not work. Many emu breeders will tell you that. It definitely has never worked on any of mine.

So, DNA testing, or wait until they're a year or two old and start making adult sounds. Males make a grunting noise that sounds almost like a pig. Females make a noise called booming. Females also may grunt for a bit before they boom.

As far as treats, mine have always been wild about collard greens, which is usually the first thing I can get them to eat after hatch. They also love strawberries.

Back
Top Bottom