1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are my hens sick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by n8mont4, Mar 20, 2013.

1. n8mont4

n8mont4 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2012
    New York
    I just got some free hens from a guy. They are older and not laying very often. 3 of then hens are fine and running around. the other 2 just kinda stand there in the coop and gave into the distance. When I make them leave, they forage for a bit and then return to the coop. Are they sick?

2. BunkyB

BunkyB Chillin' With My Peeps

If the hens are new to you give them a couple of days to get the feel for the place. Make sure they know where the water and feed is. They will come around. Different surroundings.... Steve

3. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    It is great that you are taking in the older Hens!

When you new birds, they need to be dusted with poultry dust and wormed to make sure they do not have any parasites. I would give them some high protein chicken grower along with free choice calcium for a week And yes, let them get used to you and you place.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by