Are Nipple Waterers Worth It?

Have you all heard of the Bright Tap watering system? It's a vertical nipple reservoir that screws into an insulated Igloo 5 gallon tank. I further insulate the Igloo by wrapping it with a water heater insulated blanket in winter, wrap a 9"x 9" heating pad over the Bright Tap reservoir, and the system remains unfrozen down into the teens. Wrapped in the water heater blanket, the water in the Igloo never freezes, no need for a stock tank heater, and neither does the reservoir, but the nipples will freeze below 10 F. To get them working, I just hold a bowl of hot water under the frozen nipples for a minute. Once the chickens begin using them, they remain unfrozen the rest of the day.

The nipple system with a 5 gallon tank saves wear and tear on my frayed rotator cuffs and my back, lugging water back and forth each day in winter. I only need to refill the tank once a week with a hose. Best of all, the water stays clean and sanitary.

One draw-back with the nipple system is the danger of frostbite if water falls from the nipples onto chicken feet. I solved that problem by screwing a plastic ice cube tray ten inches below the nipples to catch dribble. The ground below remains dry now, and no feet ever get wet.

I use the nipples that screw into the side of a bucket. I set my bucket on on one of those pie-plate type heaters that you can get at Stromberg's or some place like that. Because the heater is bigger than my bucket, I have no drips, dribbles or pools of water, and my system never freezes so far. We've been down to just slightly below 0F. I have the handle of the bucket tied to something over head, never had it knocked over and it can't really move because it's tied. It's tied to a clip, in case I need to move it, but generally I just bring out a gallon of water in an empty plastic milk jug to fill it. The great thing is I just never need to worry about it, at all.

Is it worth it? Wow. It sure is to me. I raise other livestock and currently have 8 water tanks where I need to put tank heaters or bust ice, one or the other. Having the chickens always have fresh clean water that is not frozen has made this winter one of the best I've had so far, as far as supplying water to the livestock.

Back
Top Bottom