Are non-pasteurized quail eggs safe to eat after power outage?

NinjaGamer2022

Songster
Apr 30, 2022
I was storing my quail eggs in the fridge to keep them from getting broken and a few days ago there was a power outage after a serious storm. The power came back yesterday and I was wondering are they safe to eat or should I toss them? Thx,

I keep them unwashed until use. They sometimes have a bit of dew on them but I normally dry them when I notice it.
I'd bet these are safe to eat. If anything, you could do the float test to get extra validation on this.

Additionally, I wouldn't store them in the fridge at all due to the risk of dew, as you noticed. Unwashed eggs on the counter will do just fine for upwards to a month as long as they stay dry.

I'd bet these are safe to eat. If anything, you could do the float test to get extra validation on this.

Additionally, I wouldn't store them in the fridge at all due to the risk of dew, as you noticed. Unwashed eggs on the counter will do just fine for upwards to a month as long as they stay dry.
Thank you for the response and info. I forgot about the float test. I will do so. Thx.

A float test will not help.
It will tell how much air is in the egg, not whether there are bacteria in the egg.

The power came back yesterday and I was wondering are they safe to eat or should I toss them?
When you want to cook them, I would crack one at a time into a bowl, look and sniff, then add it to what you are cooking. This lets you check whether they are still good. Cooking kills germs too, so cooking them gives you an extra level of safety.

A float test will not help.
It will tell how much air is in the egg, not whether there are bacteria in the egg.

When you want to cook them, I would crack one at a time into a bowl, look and sniff, then add it to what you are cooking. This lets you check whether they are still good. Cooking kills germs too, so cooking them gives you an extra level of safety.
Thank you for the reply and additional info. I will do as stated when I cook them. Do you think I should probably cook them today if any are good? Or do you think they will last longer? Thx,

Thank you for the reply and additional info. I will do as stated when I cook them. Do you think I should probably cook them today if any are good? Or do you think they will last longer? Thx,
I would probably eat them fairly soon, either today or within the next few days. Eggs will normally keep for quite a few weeks, but I wouldn't try that with eggs that went through a power outage.

Back
Top Bottom