Are oats good good or a snack?

Quote:
Whole oats are the healthiest, but any oats are a great treat! Mine devour oats in any form, from oatmeal to a handful of dry oats. I used whole oats that I can get at the feed store for 15$ for a 50lb bag, it lasts since it is treats.

My girls love oatmeal, they'll eat it cooked (especially on a cool morning,) or uncooked as scratch. Oatmeal is good for everyone, heart smart even if you're a chicken.
D.gif

I mix my own scratch from whole grains and oats are the last thing they eat, but they do eat them. However, in winter I sprout them and then the chickens LOVE oats.

Quote:
I think you are referring to "oat groats"--hulled oats with all their parts(germ, bran, endosperm...) still whole and intact. Rolled oats are oat groats that have been rolled into flakes.

~Shannon

Oats are good and chickens love them, but I would give them the chance to get their regular feed down first. The feed is formulated to be a balanced diet. Our pullets have feed available all the time and we wait until 4 p.m. before giving them snacks, including oats.

"Groats" are what they are indeed. I just did some reading and learned something new
smile.png

I feed them when I get home from work in the late afternoon. From morning until then, they free range and eat their crumbles.

Back
Top Bottom