Are oats good good or a snack?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Renthorin, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Renthorin

Renthorin Chirping

Jun 13, 2011
    Dexter Michigan
    I picked up a ten pound bag for two bucks. They seem to enjoy eating them but I won't feed a lot if they are not very nutritional.

2. Stacykins

Stacykins Crowing

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Quote:Whole oats are the healthiest, but any oats are a great treat! Mine devour oats in any form, from oatmeal to a handful of dry oats. I used whole oats that I can get at the feed store for 15$ for a 50lb bag, it lasts since it is treats.

3. carladababe

carladababe Songster

Nov 25, 2010
    Dixon, Missouri
    My girls love oatmeal, they'll eat it cooked (especially on a cool morning,) or uncooked as scratch. Oatmeal is good for everyone, heart smart even if you're a chicken.[​IMG]

4. Renthorin

Renthorin Chirping

Jun 13, 2011
    Dexter Michigan
    the stuff I have looks like grains of rice.

5. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Songster

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    I mix my own scratch from whole grains and oats are the last thing they eat, but they do eat them. However, in winter I sprout them and then the chickens LOVE oats.

6. clanreed

clanreed In the Brooder

Jul 24, 2011
    Valleyford, WA
    Quote:I think you are referring to "oat groats"--hulled oats with all their parts(germ, bran, endosperm...) still whole and intact. Rolled oats are oat groats that have been rolled into flakes.

~Shannon

7. Silkiesandco

Silkiesandco Songster

Jul 17, 2011
    Canada eh?
    My babies LOVE oats. We feed it plain and in their scratch.

8. Alethea

Alethea Songster

May 23, 2011
    Oats are good and chickens love them, but I would give them the chance to get their regular feed down first. The feed is formulated to be a balanced diet. Our pullets have feed available all the time and we wait until 4 p.m. before giving them snacks, including oats.

9. Renthorin

Renthorin Chirping

Jun 13, 2011
    Dexter Michigan
    "Groats" are what they are indeed. I just did some reading and learned something new [​IMG]

I feed them when I get home from work in the late afternoon. From morning until then, they free range and eat their crumbles.

10. paul65

paul65 In the Brooder

May 26, 2008
    SW Pennsylvania
    I soke the oats in water for about 2 days they start to stink an they are water log so i think the girls like them on hot days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: