Are oats okay for chicks?

Bobbi Jack

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 9, 2009
Question; I've heard that oats are good for ducklings to slow down their growth and thereby extend their lives and make them better egg producers, but my ducks are kept with the chicks. Would oats be harmful to two-week-old chicks?

From what I've read on this subject it seems the worst taht it will do is slow the growth of your chicks. Most hatcheries do not recommend supplementing chick starter with other foods for the first few weeks.

I've always fed 100% chick starter until they are in the coop and free ranging. Then I switch to regular chicken feed. Layer rations are for later when your pullets are starting to lay.

True that on the way back when, but if they were out with momma hen, we don't want to imagine all that they would be eating.
The only thing is to give them some grit, it will need to be very small like the type for a canary/finch- probably larger at that. Its that the grit will help grind up the oats.
Good luck and happy baby chickie month- after that they become monstahs... lol, just kidding.

Back
Top Bottom