Are Our Rescued Birds Jersey Giants?

tjhancock

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 30, 2010
Back in February my husband's friend found two pullets abandoned in a dumpster, with plastic bags tied around them. Terrible! We rescued them and they seem to be grown, healthy birds now but we have no idea what they are. They have white feathers and pale yellow feet. They are nearly twice as large as our RI Reds and Leghorn. They are very sedentary and will not roost, nor will they explore the yard with the other birds. They recently started laying and their eggs are smaller than the other birds' eggs, and very pale brown. We think they might be Jersey Giants or maybe a meat breed taken from a factory setting. If you can help identify them we'd appreciate it!

61903_orphans.jpg

welcome-byc.gif

How terrible... Well you are a good one for rescuing them! They look happy in their new home.. I bet they are meat birds.

My white JG's will roost. They are also friendly and active. Can't fly all that great, but will actively seek out food. I think you may have Cornish X's on your hand.

Look like meat birds, to extend their life you might need to put them on a severe diet and encourage them to forage in the yard and get some exercise, as they are bred to pack on a lot of weight and have short lives............ poor things, glad you rescued them.

Thanks, everyone! They are such sweet girls. They were traumatized when we first brought them home but they soon got well and healthy. I'm not familiar with the Cornish Cross so this is a great lead. And great advice about keeping them lean. They love to eat! Thanks again. What a great forum.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom