Are people buying chicks in your area?

But egg prices have fallen nationwide, so maybe the "Inflation Chicken" fad is over.
If not yet, it will be.
Once people understand that egg prices have come down, feed prices have not.
...or once they understand that keeping chickens does NOT mean 'cheap eggs'.

I don't think people are buying many chicks here (Coastal California). The feed stores seem to have lots of chicks, including ones that are a week or 2 old. I'm seeing some pretty good deals on Craigslist (someone offered me 12 easter egger chicks for $20 if I take them all). To be fair, we've been hit with repeated floods and power outages, so maybe people aren't ready for chicks yet. But egg prices have fallen nationwide, so maybe the "Inflation Chicken" fad is over.

Open Question: How's the chick market in your area?
They are going like crazy here! The stores are getting about 125/day and selling out same day! I went every day to get some chicks and FINALLY got lucky Thursday and got some!

Good question. Based on my past purchase receipts, I always paid the highest prices for chicks in late March, and paid much lower prices by about June/July.

I wouldn't be getting the Easter eggers for eggs. I don't even like the breed. It's just that they're a good deal. It's like stocking up on toilet paper when it goes on sale at CVS.
I was thinking along the lines of selling POL pullets in the summer. Does your market support paying $20-25 for a pullet? Will cover your cost and pay for a couple extra bags of feed.

It’s still crazy in Ohio. Orders full for months out. It will absolutely calm down, just not sure when. I hope it’s a bit after the summer because I have a summer selling project coming up :oops:

After chatting with a hatchery I think it’s still the newbies driving the craze, but that just means the seasoned keepers are waiting on their orders - so they will have to catch up after the newbies.

I personally worry for the health and well-being of the chickens owned by the newbies who are just out to save egg money (obviously a fool’s errand). Panic buying animals should be illegal.

I don't think people are buying many chicks here (Coastal California). The feed stores seem to have lots of chicks, including ones that are a week or 2 old. I'm seeing some pretty good deals on Craigslist (someone offered me 12 easter egger chicks for $20 if I take them all). To be fair, we've been hit with repeated floods and power outages, so maybe people aren't ready for chicks yet. But egg prices have fallen nationwide, so maybe the "Inflation Chicken" fad is over.

Open Question: How's the chick market in your area?
All the feed stores in the Denver area say the chicks are going exceptionally fast this year. Seems every delivery is selling out that day.

Back
Top Bottom