Are people really this ignorant about chicken biology?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

Quote:
Probably something to do with fish. Everyone has seen the video's of fish laying eggs and the male coming along and fertilizing them.

I didn't know that roosters didn't have regular sexual organs until I learned it on here. I thought they were mating like most mammals do.

Quote:
now this is a
yuckyuck.gif
speaking of that I remember when my 5 year old neice was talking to my dad about cows and a crooked barn....
my neice asks grandpa where does white milk come from? Dad said that it came from white cows, then she asked where chocalate milk came from? dad says from black cows...then she asked why is that barn crooked? Dad said that crooked barn was built by a crooked man!
lau.gif
My neice was full of questions that day!

I thought I had heard them all, until a pre-school teacher called me and asked if I could ship hatching eggs. Well, sure... I raise chickens, I can ship hatching eggs. No, she didn't want to incubate them... her hatch had been a bust and she didn't want to disappoint the kids before school ends next week...she wanted hatching eggs, as in eggs that are hatching within the next two days!!
roll.png
If I express ship them from AK to WV, would they be ok???

To my credit, I did not laugh until I hung up the phone.
gig.gif

I was one of those people. I grew up in a trailer park, then apartments, then when we got a house we were teens. I never paid attention to where my food came from nor did I have any opportunity to. I just didn't have the background. I think lots of people never ever have to think of where food comes from because of huge beautiful grocery stores. It is sad, because I have enjoyed every day of the three weeks I have owned my 5 girls (and one of them laid their first egg today!). I have learned so much from the kind people here and will pass that onto my boys. BYC Rocks!

My FIL is the same way...our conversation yesterday goes like this:

FIL: There are too many roosters in there (they are mating at this point)

Me: No there isnt. I have the ratio perfect.

FIL: Are you sure? They are fighting a lot!!! Look, See, they are fighting! (they are mating again)

Me: They are not fighting, I promise

FIL: Dont tell me they arent fighting! I had chickens as a kid, they are FIGHTING!

Me: No, they are not fighting they are mating (used a different word but will change for the forum! )

FIL: oh..........

big_smile.png
wink.png
big_smile.png

Quote:
Probably something to do with fish. Everyone has seen the video's of fish laying eggs and the male coming along and fertilizing them.

I didn't know that roosters didn't have regular sexual organs until I learned it on here. I thought they were mating like most mammals do.

When did chickens start resembling fish?
hu.gif
I understand what you are saying and its probably exactly what they are thinking. Now if only I could figure out how to tell people that fish don't have feathers
gig.gif

Edit: Melissastraka~~ Your avatar makes me laugh everytime I see it. Thanks
big_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
When did fish stop having feathers? Sheesh ever seen a parrotfish?

Imp- I've been to school.
roll.png

See pix below- school of parrotfish

D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif

D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif

D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif

I also thought of fish fertilizing eggs that had already been laid.

There is something seriously wrong with an educational system that can leave such huge gaps in basic biological knowledge. IMHO, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom