Are people really this ignorant about chicken biology?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This whole discussion is so funny. My SISTERS - who were raised around the same chickens I was, and probably more because they were older - both literally thought that a chicken wouldn't lay without a rooster.

I had to explain that even Nuns - Holy Sisters - got their period every single month. That it was an action of ovulation.

Now, cows and milk and lactation, that's a whole other story! There has to be a bull around at one point or another.

These women are mothers. You would think that they would know.

Imp ~ See that is why I keep coming to this site. It's people like you that help me to learn so much each and everyday
gig.gif

Quote:
Singlehandedly trying to edumacate the whole country.
caf.gif

imp-It's a new world out there & I just want to fit in.

Ya, like when people think that a rooster is a whole different type of animal. not a chicken.... and how some people only think that chickens lay white eggs. GOSH!

makes me sad! these are the kinds of things i knew when i was 4-5 years old! know where i learned it? watching the discovery channel.

it's not that hard, it's interesting and its very educational. why don't more people watch it more often?

Read 'Animal, Vegetable, Miracle'!

The author discusses this same thing - I have been shocked at how many people have thought that you needed a rooster to have hens lay eggs. I like to think about all the education I'm passing on to those who just don't know! Maybe it will get them thinking where their food comes from.

On a similar note, a few years ago when they started teaching abstinace only out here, alot of basic biology got left out. In an art class I was taking for Gen ED. 2 years ago, several of the 19 yr old nursing students knew nothing about the reproductive system. The one that stuck out was them assumming that having your tubes tied meant menopause symptoms (a hysteractimy might but that's a huge differance).
roll.png

Fish and frog maitings may have been all they were told about in school. I think alot of science has been edited out in the decade since I finished high school.
hmm.png

Last edited:
People don't know things that they haven't been taught. It doesn't make them stupid. I don't recall having a class in chicken biology when I was in school/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom