Are pheasants impressionable?

Peskypigeon

Songster
Sep 20, 2020
Hello everybirdie,

so I know that quails are impressionable at birth, and if are not handled in their first week often they won’t be human-friendly. But are pheasants the same way?

i’m getting a house golden pheasant, but I’ve ordered a roughly two month old one. Will he be able to be tamed and friendly (and I mean like a friendly chicken), or should I just opt out and raise one from an egg myself for best results?

Thank you!

In my opinion, any bird can be tamed if they learn to trust you. Hand feeding, talking quietly around them, and just being around them in a peaceful way has worked with me in birds that were almost never handled, and with ex-battery hens.

Coming from someone who has an imprinted male golden, not sure I'd recommend it. The situations will be different sure, I hatched mine myself and after weeks indoors he was moved outside to a big run so he's not an indoor pet. I love him dearly (he's the one in my profile), and he's incredibly tame, but being imprinted he's a little neurotic. One second he's talking to you sweetly, enjoying your company, the next he's attacking. I think he's stuck between 'need to defend territory' and 'want to be loved by mum'.
It might be a different story if the bird is kept in the house all the time, but from my experience imprinted goldens have ended up quite aggressive. They're not chickens, and they don't have the same domestication that chickens have, so I'm not sure I'd recommend one for a house pet.

Hello everybirdie,

so I know that quails are impressionable at birth, and if are not handled in their first week often they won’t be human-friendly. But are pheasants the same way?

i’m getting a house golden pheasant, but I’ve ordered a roughly two month old one. Will he be able to be tamed and friendly (and I mean like a friendly chicken), or should I just opt out and raise one from an egg myself for best results?

Thank you!
How is your indoor golden pheasant doing? Can you please share photos of your indoor pheasant?

Back
Top Bottom