Are Pine Shavings Okay for Baby Chicks & Momma Hen?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by zephyr66, Feb 6, 2011.

1. zephyr66

zephyr66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Ramona, CA
    I have separated my broody hen who is setting on her 8 eggs in her own area inside the coop for when she hatches her chicks. I plan to keep them separated for up to a week after hatching before I take down part of the baracade. Inside my coop I have the deep litter method with pine shavings. I have cleaned the separated area and am going to put new shavings down. Just want to make sure this type of material is okay? I will have an area with chick food and water also probably on a small piece of plywood for more stability so feeders don't tip on shavings. Let me know what you think of the pine! Thanks.

Sylvia

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    My broody pen usually has a mix of pine shavings and hay, simply because I store some hay in there. I don't think it matters.

3. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    My broodies adore a large fluffy pile of pine shavings in their nest. The hen & chicks love pecking around and hiding themselves in it.

4. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Im not the only one, yeah!!! I have a broody sitting on 6 eggs, I just moved her into a larger wire dog crate for hatching day (tues/wed). I have the deep litter method, and its getting pretty deep! So i am going to use pine shavings too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by