Are poults scared of everything?

jason_mazzy

Songster
9 Years
Jan 7, 2011
My poults arrived from the breeder. they were hatched fri/sat. 4 narragansetts and 6 bourbons. They were delivered to me because he lives about 30 min away, and was enroute to a nursery. These things have bedded down in the brooder, and haven't moved. They are alive, and breathing but they either sleep, or when they see me freeze. Obviously the concern here is they will not move, so they will not eat/drink/ or regulate their temperature. I can only pray I am being paranoid. I dipped all of their beaks shortly after they arrived. but they have not moved from their spots for hours. How long are these guys freaked out for? I have never had chicks act this way so I guess the turkeys are worrying me.

if I have seen no signs of eating/drinking/movement by 1-2 am I am going to try and drip water them with electrolytes like I would a sick chick. Does that sound reasonable?

Hmm, I'm not sure. Do you have any chicks in with them to "show them what to do"? I've read that doing that helps the turkeys thrive. I am only on my second batch of turkeys and have had chicks with them. They have been doing well so far.

Good luck.

This is my first time with turkeys too. I have BR and I did put one of my cornish cross in there with them because I never saw them eating or drinking or doing much of anything else but laying in a pile. They are doing fine now, but I don't know that they would have explored enough on their own to figure it out. They don't seem as curious as chickens but I don't know. I hope they figure it out for you!

how old are they?when we started our turkeys we put paper towls down in the brooder an sprinkle food all over.we also put a few chicks in with them we showed them the food an water every 2hrs till we see them eat an drink on there own.ours love to watch you when you go in there they are so cute.we also start all our bird with save a chick in there water for the first 24hrs.good luck

I have a midget silkie chick. but that chick is 4 weeks or so. they are 3-4 days. I put the small silky in but she dwarfs the poults. I hope she is able to help them. so far all she did was scare the crap out of them.

midget silkie is working. I see lil poults walking around eating.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom