Are raw pine tree logs poisonous to chickens?

TbChiCken

Chirping
Sep 2, 2020
Hello everyone,
I am going to be building a chicken coops this summer. I live in a densely forested area and there are lots of pine trees. I was wondering if, cut down, I could use those pine logs to build a coop and run. Is the bark safe, is the wood safe to use, and is the sap poisonous.
Thank you,
TbChiCken

Good question!
I use pine shavings in my coop without any problems.
I also put a Christmas tree in the coop for the flock to climb on. I haven’t had any problems with this.
I’m curious about answers you will get about your question about the sap.

I also use pine shavings in my coop/run as do a lot of people. Also, I read on here that a lot of people use pine needles. That would make you think it would be fine. Even a lot of the commercial building materials are pine.

Pine is not poisonous.

It wouldn't be good for the chickens to eat too many pine shavings -- they're not food, after all. Same for the pine resin. But pine wood, fresh or aged, should be fine to use in constructing the coop, making perches, etc.
Yep, I would be in serious trouble as would a lot of other people if it was. My coop itself along with roost, poop trays, nesting boxes etc.. are all build out of pine wood. And, then I use pine shavings for the deep bedding system.

Back
Top Bottom