Are Red Stars good layers? Ameracuanas?

gypsygirl1421

Songster
12 Years
Nov 27, 2007
Albany, NY
I keep getting picked on by my friends who have barred rocks that my red stars aren't worth a beep and I shouln't have got them. I did a lot of research on this and other websites and everyone seems happy with them. Mine are 7 weeks and so sweet and gentle. I also have Ameracuana's that are the same age and my DH says they hardly ever lay an egg. These girls are pets, but I would like to share eggs with my friends. What do you think?

I have red stars also and am hoping they will be good layers, I looked it up before I bought them and they had real good reports. We had Aracaunas as when I was a kid and they were real good layers I have some now but mine are only a couple weeks old. Good luck with yours!

I love my Red Star! I'm getting more this year because I'm disappointed I only have one. She is by far my best layer and lays more consistantly and more often than my others (although they aren't far behind). She also laid eggs four weeks sooner than any of my other birds. She started laying at 17 weeks old!

Red Stars are known to be great layers so you should be very happy with them.

Americauna's are not known to be great layers. Most people get them for the egg color. I'm getting a couple this year for that reason so I have no experience with how much they actually do lay. Some one here will have that experience and can give you better details.

I hear Barred Rocks are great also but I bet Red Stars will give them a run for the money.

All the BR's I have gotten from the feed stores here must be from a so-so line since none have been stellar performers in eggs. My red and black stars however do great. Eggs by the bunches. However, they do not compare to my production leghorns. I think the red stars were a good choice.

I have 2 red stars and they lay big brown eggs everyday, all winter and one day I didn't get an egg, but the next day that girl made up for it by laying an extra egg that day!

made a typing booboo

Last edited:
My stars/ Cinnamon Queens are the queens of the coop they lay every day and if they miss I get a big double yoker the next time.
I like them and will allways have some in my coop.

Quote:
When your red stars get to laying age, they'll give you a good amount of eggs that you'll be able to eat and share. They should begin laying in 10 to 12 weeks.
I can not shed any light on the Ameracuana's because I've not had any.
Give it a little more time...you'll be in egg heaven and your friends and dh will be "sucking egg"
smile.png

my sex-links lay wonderful eggs. my cherry eggers lay jumbo eggs every time and are consistent. once your girls start laying, they'll out do those BRs. they were breed to lay and that's what they'll do for you. your first eggs will be medium eggs but give them a little time and they'll be laying ex-large to jumbo eggs that don't fit your carton.

i have alot of ameraucana/ee's. mine are very consistent layers and now that some are over a year old, have started laying ex-large eggs for me. they came from mcmurray and cackle. i do, though, feed them extra protein once or twice a week with either cat food or catfish food.

I don't have any red stars, but I have three EEs. They've been pretty consistent layers, giving me about 15 eggs/wk. They did, however, pretty much stop laying over the winter - maybe 3-5 eggs/wk, while the rest of them laid throughout. The eggs are a nice size (med - lg) and, of course, beautiful colours! Don't listen to other people - get what you like. Everyone has their own favorite breed - find what your's is going to be!
smile.png

Good luck!
Liz

Back
Top Bottom