Are sebright chicks really hard to raise?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Dinos_rock, Jun 9, 2008.

1. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I know.

He says they don't have a very good fertality rate

I have had 100% fertility with my Silver Sebright eggs this year.​

2. Dinos_rock

Dinos_rock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Arizona
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  3. WillsMama93

WillsMama93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Shreveport, La
    My silver seabright has done just wonderfully.. no problems at all.. she is a bit goofy at times though, and sucha sweetheart.

4. Kareng

Kareng Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2008
    California
    I also heard that and am relieved to read your responses. My 2 silver and 2 gold sebrights arrived yesterday at the post office along with four mystery standard yellow chicks. They seem fine, a little sleepy at first. I put vitamins in their water and they perked up. They just look so tiny with the regular chicks! There are 13 chicks in two brooders in our laundry room and I promised my family these are the last for a while.
    We have 12 four and five week olds in the coop now, austrolorps, RIRs , americaunas, sex, link, barred rock, and two silkies. We put the bigger ones in the garden for a couple of hours and they loved picking at the bugs and eventually settled for a nap under the zucchini leaves.
    I haven't had chickens in years and forgot how much fun they are and the relaxation that comes from watching them.
    This site is a wealth of info, so glad to find you all!
    Karen

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Dont worry. They are super easy to raise. Mine are good little layers also. I get an egg a day from each of my hens.

6. Sebrightmom

Sebrightmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Greencastle, IN
    I have a question about Sebrights. I have one hen and am looking on getting several more. Mine is a golden Sebright. I heard that is you breed a silver and golden together that you will get some of each. Is this true?

7. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Oh i forgot to tell you despite their small size they are rather bossy little boogers. Mine along with the millie fleur is the top hen. They but the regular sized polish in their place despite the fact that they are double their size.

8. Lov'emSouthernEggs

Lov'emSouthernEggs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    East Carolina
    Quote:My understanding of Sebrights is that they are sex-linked. If you mate a Silver Roo with a Golden Hen you will get silver chicks. and the opposite. Golden Roo + silver hen = golden chicks.

Please let me know if this is incorrect. I have Goldens and would like Silvers. I thought about just getting a Silver roo if this is true. My golden hens will have both if I have one roo of each.

Hmmmmmmmm...[​IMG]

9. SimplyForties

SimplyForties Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Carroll County, Va
    I have two 4 week old goldens and I just love them! My little BTW japanese babies are even tinier and sweeter but the Sebrights are neat and fairly fearless. They are big flyers so be prepared for that!

10. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    I dont think they are any harder to raise than any other bantam...

I had one last spring, and he did great!! No problems at all.

Good Luck!
    Jason

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by