Are silkies docile?

alexa009

Crossing the Road
6 Years
Apr 6, 2017
Texas
My Coop
My Coop
I am thinking of getting silkies when I get more chickens. The only thing is, I will only get them if they are friendly. Are silkies docile? What is their disposition? As long as it doesn't mind being held or handled then that is great with me.

In my experience even the roosters are tame, the only problem I've had is I ended up with a bunch of roos and now the adolescents squabble a lot with each other, but they are very nice with people.

My 4 year old daughter carries her favorite Silkie around. Its the sweetest thing to see. None of my other chickens would ever allow it (and I have several breeds that have been raised from chicks) but Buffy the Silkie doesn't mind it at all. :love

I have several breeds including silkies. In my opinion they are usually the gentlest and most docile of any breed I have owned. I have two silkies and one salmon faverole who are all broody now. Silkies are often broody- be prepared for that. The salmon tried to nip me today when I picked up eggs. The silkies just fussed a little and scrunched down.

If you want friendly chickens you need to get them as chicks and handle, feed treats and play with them a lot. All my silkie girls but one love to be picked up and even the one who doesn't like being picked up is always underfoot and friendly enough to eat out of my hand. I only have one non silkie other chicken (an old australorp) who is as ready to jump on my lap and be handled. That being said, chickens, like dogs, are individuals and you can find some that don't fit the breed profile.

Aww! I would definitely get one now!:love
Here is my baby with one of ours we had.
20170505_163327.jpg

Back
Top Bottom