Are small-tiny blood drops safe to eat?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Nashonii, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Nashonii

Nashonii Songster

Some of my customers and I, have found tiny blood drops in my eggs. I just dig them out with the shell, and go on. But they are asking. What do you say/do? (And yes I know that means they are fertile.But is that bad? )

Duck Lover88 likes this.
  2. getaclue

getaclue Crossing the Road

Jun 19, 2013
    Central Florida
    Yes, they are safe.

3. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    Yes. Also they can appear in non-fertilized eggs. I particularly get them from one chicken and I don't have a rooster. It's normal. If your friends ask why they don't see them in their store bought eggs you can explain that during quality control they screen out the eggs with blood spots and use them for other purposes, like when you buy a loaf of bread or another processed item that contains eggs as an ingredient. This way grocery store customers never see the blood spots but the eggs can still be used.

4. Duck Lover88

Duck Lover88 Songster

Jan 11, 2018
    Piedmont N.C
    X2

Farmgal101 likes this.
  5. Nashonii

Nashonii Songster

Thankyou Duck lover and Pirate girl! Great words.

Duck Lover88 likes this.
  6. Beer can

Beer can Free Ranging

Aug 12, 2014
    Upstate NY
    Yeah they do appear in infertile eggs, otherwise egg companies wouldn't candle the eggs, they have no roosters.
    No big deal I just pick it out, but I can understand why a customer wouldn't like it. DW would crack the eggs in a separate container, she didn't like the bloodspot egg either.
    The hen that was laying them eventually it stopped and no longer has a bloodspot maybe you'll get lucky also.

7. AASister

AASister In the Brooder

Oct 29, 2017
    Irving, TX
    I used to think that blood spots meant they were fertile, but that's not the case. A fertile egg will have a white bullseye on the yellow yolk. There are some threads on here that you can check out. The red blood spots are perfectly normal and safe to eat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: