Are the baby chicks suppose to sleep like this?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by RedBreasted, Mar 30, 2016.

1. mrv19

mrv19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2016
    If you cant provide that with the space heater you will need to find another solution

2. RedBreasted

RedBreasted Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2014
    Idaho
    My Ameraucana keep peeping loudly. What can I do?

3. mrv19

mrv19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2016
    Use the space heater for now. Loud peeping is what they do when they're freezing

4. RedBreasted

Sep 21, 2014
    Idaho
    Oh and my space heater will automatically shut off when is hot enough.

5. RedBreasted

Sep 21, 2014
    Idaho
    Will my Buff Orpington adopt the 2 baby chicks? I've never seen or know if she's a broody hen or not but I don't have a heat lamp or heat mat and only win blanket to cover the brooder and a space heater that can reach to 85 degrees. I have a coop and she always sleep in the laying box.

6. Anira

Anira Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2013
    Fossil, OR
    How big is the brooder? What does it look like? Can you move it to a small room where you can use the space heater to heat the entire room to 85 degrees?

No, the hen will not adopt the chicks. She doesn't sound broody.

7. RedBreasted

Sep 21, 2014
    Idaho
    Here is the brooder size. I think I need a bigger one. I have a lot of boxes and should I get a box with more length/width then height? Right now they both are active dude to my space heater being 85 degrees and they didn't peep too loud anymore. Any suggestion? Should I move it into my bedroom or I have 2 empty bedrooms upstairs. Should I put them there?
    [​IMG]

8. csaylorchickens

csaylorchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2015
    California
    My Coop
    Space heater isn't enough. It needs to be radiating heat not blowing I would think. But that's just my opinion not fact based. I use the ecoglow20 and a space heater in the garage to heat up the Temps in the garage if it gets cold. The last few night Temps got down to 35 (killing off my beautiful zucchini plants :/) so I use the space heater at night only with the ecoglow

9. RedBreasted

Sep 21, 2014
    Idaho
    Hmm... I don't know what I should do next. :/ My hens aren't broody. Any suggestions?

10. csaylorchickens

csaylorchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2015
    California
    My Coop
    They need heat at 90/95 the first week than 5 degrees less every week there after till fully feathered by 6 weeks give or take.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by