Are the baby chicks suppose to sleep like this?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by RedBreasted, Mar 30, 2016.

1. csaylorchickens

csaylorchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2015
    California
    My Coop

Get a heat lamp.and a bigger brooder
    Do you have a galvanized dog crate or something or a huge plastic tub

2. RedBreasted

RedBreasted Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2014
    Idaho
    Umm... I have a hatchery near Walmart which is very few miles from my house. Maybe I can buy one there. The website is dunlaphatchery.net and that's where I buy chickens and chicks. Maybe you can check out the heat lamps and see which one good because I don't know which one is good. There is multiple one of them. Right now the space heater is heating up the room and I'm starting to sweating.

3. csaylorchickens

Mar 8, 2015
    California
    My Coop

Yes but it's a different kind of heat that they need. I suggest ordering. Heat plate for future use like the ecoglow 20 perfect for a few chicks and not a fire hazard like the lamps

4. csaylorchickens

Mar 8, 2015
    California
    My Coop
    If you go and explain what you need they will hook u up

5. RedBreasted

Sep 21, 2014
    Idaho
    Btw where would I put the heat lamp because I don't have any hooks inside the house to hook the heat lamp to. That's always been a problem to me. No, I don't have a large dog crate. I wish I had an aquarium, well, a reptile cage to keep them in and put the heat lamp on top.

6. RedBreasted

Sep 21, 2014
    Idaho
    So what I would need. If I go to the hatchery, what would I say to them about the heat lamp, like what kind.

7. Andrei

Andrei Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2015
    Just go to Walmart right now and buy a regular lamp that has a clamp on it. And a red heat light bulb. You will find this in the pet section. Then get a bigger box for them so that you can have heat on one side of the box and less heat on the other side of the box. This way they can choose how hot they want to be.

8. Anira

Anira Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2013
    Fossil, OR
    They need a larger box now. Length and width are more important than height right now, but a foot deep to start. The space heater in a small room is only temporary. Do that until you get a heat lamp. The room will feel hot to you, but not to the chicks (make sure it stays around 85 in the room, no colder, and no hotter than 90.

You need a heat lamp and a large box at the very least. Heat lamp only at one end of the large box, so they can move away from the heat. You don't necessarily need a thermometer. If the chicks stay far away from where the heat lamp is hanging, raise it up a bit because it's too hot. If they huddle under it all the time, lower it a little bit because they're too cold.

Also, get a baby chick waterer.

If you secure the heat lamp properly, there is no fire hazard. I have a heat plate, but NOT ALL CHICKS WILL USE IT. You need to have the heat lamp anyway, in case your chicks won't use it.

Here's an example of my bathtub brooder. Heat lamp secured only over one end (left side, in this case), with plenty of space to get away from it. (Heat lamp wasn't on because the chicks were almost fully feathered and I was acclimating them to temps without the heat. The heat lamp is down so far because the bathroom is at outside temperatures, which is pretty cold at night.)

[​IMG]

9. RedBreasted

Sep 21, 2014
    Idaho
    So first thing tomorrow is get a heat lamp and get a new brooder box. Right now I'm turning the space heater off and place the 4 flaps of the box up and cover it with a blanket. Should I cover it with a blanket without the space heater or do that with the space heater.

10. ftfarmer22

ftfarmer22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2016
    Oregon

Oh wow the chicks are probably freezing!! Especially at only 2 days old!! You need to boost temps up to 90 or 95 degrees or they could die... Decrease 5 degrees each week until they are fully feathered. Good luck!!

-ftfarmer22

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by