Are the baby chicks suppose to sleep like this?

I didn't cover it full like all the way cover, I made a tiny hole facing the space heater where it blows the 85 degrees air and about like 1/3 of the box is not cover.

Oh ok :) yeah go and buy a space heater as soon as you can. The first week is the most sensitive for the chicks. Hope they make it.

Umm if you cover it with a blanket how will they get air?

That's what I was wondering. You need to keep your chicks warm, but at the same time you don't want to cook your chicks. The blanket would trap the heat inside and they couldn't breathe...

Would that be okay for just today? Do you have suggestion on what heat lamp to buy? I found one in my closest hatchery' website dunlaphatchery.net.

I would worry about fires with the blanket. Just put them in your room tonight with the space heater (and a fire alarm just in case) if they get cold, they will probably wake you and you can try to help them.
You can buy heat lamps with clamps. Get a plastic tote for the brooder (there are many options but that is what I use) and everyone should be happy.

No, you can't leave the box like that. The chicks will roast. Imagine wrapping yourself in a blanket and having a heater blowing hot air at you from a small gap in the blanket. The hot air has nowhere to go. It'll basically be an oven.

Take the chicks into your bedroom with the space heater. Do not cover the box.

Back
Top Bottom