Are there and places to rescue ex battery hens in bc?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ChickenGirl 19, Oct 15, 2012.

1. ChickenGirl 19

ChickenGirl 19 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2012
    BC, Canada
    Hi, I live in BC, and I have chickens. We are going to get more chickens next year, and I am very interested in adopting a few ex battery hens. The thing is, all the areas I can find that adopt out ex battery hens on the internet are in the uk, or Ontario. I would be great if you guys could say If you know any area's in BC that adopt out ex battery hens, or factory farms that would sell them. Thanks!

2. dmoulton

dmoulton New Egg

Jan 6, 2013
    Hi - I am also starting a smally flock this spring as I was thinking of looking for ex-battery hens in BC. I have also found nothing but in Ontario and the UK.

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    [​IMG]

Find out where your local shops get their eggs from and contact the farm. Ask them for "spent" hens.

4. romina

romina New Egg

Mar 4, 2016
    Just wondering if anyone has found where to rescue hen's from in BC... If so, please let me know.

5. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Truthfully if I had (and I do) an established flock, I would not add battery hens to it. Bringing in adult birds from a strange place is asking for disease problems. Your own hens are getting age on them, eventually they will die or need to be culled. Getting worn out hens, which due to their age are more prone to getting physical problems, such as heart problems, egg laying problems and arthritic joints is not good animal husbandry.

I can see that one might think that they are doing a kindness to an older bird, but really it is a fairly short term kindness as chickens do not generally live real long. And integrating an older bird into a strange place and environment is very stressful to your current flock and to the old darlings you are trying to be good to.

It is better to add young healthy hens to your flock, in my opinion, the best flock is a multigenerational flock, some very young birds, some a year old, some two, and a couple older ones.

This is just an offering of a different viewpoint, and not meant to be judgmental. It is your flock and you can of course, do what you want with it. Good luck on whatever you decide.

Mrs K

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  6. romina

romina New Egg

Mar 4, 2016
    Thanks for your advice Ms K. I do not have a flock. I'd just like to save some old souls that need a little freedom before they die.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by