Are there any actual scientific studies on Apple Cider Vinegar?

I never noticed decrease in algae, I change water too often and don't have water lines. I'm interested in the health benefits too. I've seen more threads here about it staving off disease and infection. Most acv users push the expensive stuff. I have many birds and have used the big jugs sold in grocery stores for over 30 years. Yes, I've heard all the reasons why the super duper stuff should be used but it doesn't fit into my budget and this is what I can and pickle with anyway. I've seen the books out and have a thick pamphlet from the 80s on acv. Any real health studies?

I seem to have a lot less slime and no green stuff since I started using it. I change the water every 4 days or so but it is inside the coop. Before, I changed water every day (because I had a small waterer that only lasted that long).

Last edited:
http://www.pvb.com.br/pdf_artigos/21-02-2011_14-51Vet 910_2015 LD.pdf

Great article! Puts an end to all doubts about the benefits of apple cider vinegar with chickens. I used ACV regularly for my birds, recognizing its great value. Earlier this year, tho, I switched to 35% food grade Hydrogen Peroxide. Since applying this to my birds' watering system, mold or bacteria cannot grow at all in the gravity fed 11 gallon tank (x2). Because H2O2 kills all bacteria, good and bad, my birds' layer diet is supplemented with Kefir, known to contain over 42 good bacteria, yeasts and beneficial items in it, far more than yogurt. Plus it is easy to make your own kefir so as not to pay high prices of this unique food.​

Quote:
How long do you let the juice set before it's ready after adding the Bragg's? How much do you use? Why does it need to be frozen apple juice? I might just buy apples on sale and make it fresh. Then I can feed the pulp to the chickens.

It has to be frozen because the enzymes haven't been cooked out of the frozen in processing. Fresh would be even better, but frozen is the cheapest way to go. I spend $2 to make a whole gallon by getting store brand (one container of it makes 1/2 gallon). I doubt you'll find ACV with or without the "mother" in it anywhere at that price. You don't have to let it sit out at all before adding the Braggs. The Braggs is for the "starter" or "mother" that it has in it and you only need it the first batch.

Just put about a cup of Braggs or more (no more than 1/3 braggs total) per gallon of apple juice in a glass container. Cover with a coffee filter or paper towel secured with a rubber band over it (it must breathe, don't seal it!) and place that in the pantry or somewhere that it's going to be 75-80 degrees consistently, out of sunlight and out of drafts. Date it. In a week or less, you'll start seeing a layer of some whitish stuff forming on the top. That is the "Mother" or yeast cake forming that turns the juice into vinegar. You can't just use any old yeast, it needs to be that particular kind. Takes about a month and you can start to sample it around then through a straw if you dare to see how it's coming along. Best to get test strips to test the acidity though first, that's what I did but it's never tested higher than around 3.2 (needs to be under 4) so would have been safe anyway.

When it's done, you'll have a 1/4" or thicker layer of white gooey stuff on the top. Keep it. Make another jar of apple juice and put it in that one. Now you no longer need the Braggs unless you let the "mother" die for some reason. After the second batch, you'll have 2 mothers: the one you put in there plus the one that jar made. Now you can share one, start 2 batches at once, throw it out, in the compost, maybe even see if the chickens will eat it (some do lol - full of B vitamins and good stuff).

So to recap, get some non-pasturized apple juice, throw in a starter bit from Braggs, sit it on the shelf for a month. Boom. You just made 2 quarts or a gallon of "natural" ACV. $2-$3 a gallon.

PS - if you see any green or black stuff in there anywhere after it starts brewing, throw it out! The whole thing! That's mold. I've never had it do that but I wanted to add that warning because everywhere I've read about how to make it also included that warning.

Last edited:
Quote:
How long do you let the juice set before it's ready after adding the Bragg's? How much do you use? Why does it need to be frozen apple juice? I might just buy apples on sale and make it fresh. Then I can feed the pulp to the chickens.

It has to be frozen because the enzymes haven't been cooked out of the frozen in processing. Fresh would be even better, but frozen is the cheapest way to go. I spend $2 to make a whole gallon by getting store brand (one container of it makes 1/2 gallon). I doubt you'll find ACV with or without the "mother" in it anywhere at that price. You don't have to let it sit out at all before adding the Braggs. The Braggs is for the "starter" or "mother" that it has in it and you only need it the first batch.

Just put about a cup of Braggs or more (no more than 1/3 braggs total) per gallon of apple juice in a glass container. Cover with a coffee filter or paper towel secured with a rubber band over it (it must breathe, don't seal it!) and place that in the pantry or somewhere that it's going to be 75-80 degrees consistently, out of sunlight and out of drafts. Date it. In a week or less, you'll start seeing a layer of some whitish stuff forming on the top. That is the "Mother" or yeast cake forming that turns the juice into vinegar. You can't just use any old yeast, it needs to be that particular kind. Takes about a month and you can start to sample it around then through a straw if you dare to see how it's coming along. Best to get test strips to test the acidity though first, that's what I did but it's never tested higher than around 3.2 (needs to be under 4) so would have been safe anyway.

When it's done, you'll have a 1/4" or thicker layer of white gooey stuff on the top. Keep it. Make another jar of apple juice and put it in that one. Now you no longer need the Braggs unless you let the "mother" die for some reason. After the second batch, you'll have 2 mothers: the one you put in there plus the one that jar made. Now you can share one, start 2 batches at once, throw it out, in the compost, maybe even see if the chickens will eat it (some do lol - full of B vitamins and good stuff).

So to recap, get some non-pasturized apple juice, throw in a starter bit from Braggs, sit it on the shelf for a month. Boom. You just made 2 quarts or a gallon of "natural" ACV. $2-$3 a gallon.

PS - if you see any green or black stuff in there anywhere after it starts brewing, throw it out! The whole thing! That's mold. I've never had it do that but I wanted to add that warning because everywhere I've read about how to make it also included that warning.

I guess I'm more lazy than broke because I have no desire to make my own. lol

Back
Top Bottom