Are there any alternatives to a heat lamp?

TheHalfWayCoop

Chirping
8 Years
May 6, 2011
Campbellville Ontario
We have four silkie babies that are a day old, but the broody hen seems to be pecking them a lot and throwing them out from under her. Stupid us didn't have a brooder ready
hide.gif
because we thought mama would take care of them, and if not her, than our other broody, but that doesn't appear to be the case. I've called all three of our local feed stores and they are all out of brooder lamps!!!
he.gif
:he:he Is there any kind of alternative that I can rig up in the interim? I don't even have a bendy desk lamp that I can put one of those bathroom warming bulbs in. We have all normal table lamps around here and I'm fairly certain my electric blanket is shot. Last year we put the brooder beside our radiators in the house and put a heavy quilt over it and they were great, we've sinced move though and no longer have that option
he.gif

Thank you for any ideas!

For just a few chicks, I put a drop light with a 60 watt bulb in one of those big rubbermaid tubs partially covered. Any box will work.
It doesn't have to be a 'heat lamp'. Any incandescent or halogen bulb will generate heat. Actually in a smallish container a heat lamp generates too much heat.
Use a thermometer and check their activity for your lead.

Last edited:
I've used regular bulbs too in the past 100 watts and decreased it as they got older. Try a clip on lamp that you can find at your local Target.....

For my first chick I used a regular lightbulb (pointed kind not rounded) as well. I used a regular box, and put some tin foil underneath of it, to keep the box from burning. And then I put tin foil over top the light to reflect the heat down and it worked really well. Then I gradually took the tin foil off as the chick got older and decreased the wattage.

Home Depot sells brooder lamps. I use a couple or three of them (3 in the winter when it is very cold in my garage) and put 100 watt bulbs in them. I never use the heat lamp bulbs anymore. Just check your temperatures under the lamp.

Last edited:
You could use rice filled socks. You heat them up in the microwave and they stay toasty warm for quite a while. The down side, you'll have to reheat them when they cool off. Just about any pet store will carry heat lamps, do you have a Petsmart/Petco or anything like that near you? Good luck!

Or maybe a heat rock for reptiles?
I like the heating pad, or maybe those little heat packs you put in your pockets for skiing?

We used to brood all chicks outdoors, in the coop, with a 100W bulb hanging over them. Most anything will do. If you've read the OT's thread at all, you know that not all chicks are raised anywhere near 90-95 degrees.

Back
Top Bottom