Are there any fruits that are NOT ok for my chickens?

Quote:
Thank you silkiechicken,
chickens are so interesting, this is addicting! I did throw my the peelings of a granny smith apple, they did not care much for it at first. But by that early evening, I did not find it out there scattered about. I guess the ate it.

Quote:
I had a piece we hadn't eaten and it was getting over-ripe so I threw it out and the chickens really went after it! I throw out all fruit/veggie scraps into my "compost pile" but it will never amount to anything as the chickens go through it and eat everything...just about. ha ha they do leave the onion skins alone. ha

Quote:
I thought potato peels had harmful toxins in them.
Editied: Is that what you saying in the last sentence, they won't eat the potato peels?

Last edited:
Quote:
That's good to know, I'm a southern girl myself and I'm probably making some drop biscuits for DH this morning.

Do you give the chickens wild bird seed? Do they crack the shell themselves?

Hi Southern28Chick,

Someone else who makes "drop" biscuits! Awesome:)
I just finished with the bag of bird seed and threw it out. So I don't have it to look at. It is bird seed I bought at walmart, to attract all kinds of birds. It has no seeds in a shell though. Blue jays, titmouse (sp), red birds and some other birds come to the feeders. I hate snakes and am trying to attract the birds to get them! lol And we like watching the birds too. It was like $3.97 for a small bag. But I went to Lowes for my paint for the chicken coop and they had better prices on bird seed in a big bag. So I am going to go there and get it. I hope this is helpful! I was told they like cabbage? Mine did not go so nutty for that. I just love this site! Sorry I go on and on:D

Mine LOVE spaghetti! i guess they think it's "wormy" or something; but they love it and it's fun to watch them eat

OOOPS...So Tomatoes are BAD for chickens?? I gave mine some small cherry toms a couple of days ago off of one of my plants and they went bonkers for em. Haven't seen any ill effects though. I have also given mine some strawberries.

Back
Top Bottom