annie333

Chirping
May 11, 2015
I had a beautiful pair of Narragansetts and was so excited to have her set this spring, but something happened to her over night and she is gone.

I would like to find a breeding hen or a few hens even, for our Tom ASAP, but all I can find are hatcheries selling day old chicks.

Does anyone know where I can find laying Narragansett hens?

Check Craigslist.

If there are any around look at small animal auctions or swap.

Maybe post a looking for post on your state thread on here.

Where are you located?

Check Craigslist.

If there are any around look at small animal auctions or swap.

Maybe post a looking for post on your state thread on here.

Where are you located?
I am in Oregon. I will try the auctions. Thanks.

Please understand that buying at auction is often poor quality stock headed to the dinner plate. Try CL first. Buy directly from seller. In your enthusism to replace your hen ,dont forget the benefits of buying a healthy bird.

Some feed stores are selling heritage turkeys. Might be worth considering buying a few poults. Even if not the right breed at this point. Or order a few poults and raise them up, selecting the varieity of your choice. Order soon, getting late to order.

Be very careful with auctions. Not only can birds be harboring disease or be sick without showing symptoms, but you won't know genetically what they carry either. A bird that looks Bronze can be carrying genes that would make it produce mixed bred offspring. Down here lots of people keep a Tom of one color variety and then 4 different varieties of hens.

Porters is a good place for poults if you have no other choice, and I have used them several times. His website is also a wealth of information. www.porterturkeys.com/ Unfortunately this late they are not offering specific varieties, so you would just have to pick up an assortment of purebreds and hope to get a few pairs. Many colors can be bred together and get amazing combos of varieties that will breed true; you can play with his Turkey calculator to see what you get when crossing one variety to another.

Back
Top Bottom