Are there any human leftovers that you wouldn't feed your chickens?

Cafeteria Style
I work in a large school. Every Friday, I ask our cafeteria staff to load a bag with any food they may throw out due to the end of the week purge. This is typically a huge bag of tots, fries, corn dogs, sandwiches, chips and veggies. They don't seem to like the carrots but goats take care of those. I freeze the large bag of garbage (otherwise thrown out) in my chest freezer. I then break off random blocks and watch then go to town! They love it! Haven't had any issues with the eggs and my 5 chickens lay 5 eggs and day throughout the entire year. I would encourage those of you that work in a cafeteria setting to give this a try. Any of the greens can go to the goats but they seem way more picky than the incredible chicken trash disposals. Now I just have to deal with the swarm when they see the tuck pull up with the cafeteria mystery meal for the week. No complaints here. May not be as "organic" as most would like. (my wife thought it was gross when I put a whole turkey carcass out for them. They picked it clean in under 1/2 hour) Yummy Eggs and Happy Chicken!
I've thought about doing the same with a pig but combining all the milk into a slop. Any ideas or drawbacks? Someone said it may lead to poor meat but I think I can fix that with hanging and proper prep.
welcome-byc.gif
Great going. That reminds me of the story of the fellow who put out the turkey carcass a neighbor brought him. He forgot to tell his wife and heard her scream. She looked out and thought that they had killed and eaten one of their own coop mates. Laugh everytime I think about it.
lau.gif

I am new to chicken keeping, and in the past, my family has been extremely bad about wasting food. The chickens have helped with that a lot! But I'm unsure if maybe I am feeding them some things that I shouldn't be.

So..today's leftovers removed from the fridge were:

Beef stew (carrots and potatoes)
Chili (pinto, black and white beans, tomatoes, beef, turkey)
And...chicken noodle soup..

Ew...they liked the chicken soup the best, and chili the least. They finished both the chicken soup and beef stew, and left the chili.

Are these OK things to offer them, maybe once or twice a week? I have 4 hens and each soup had less than a human serving left.

What about lasagne and other pasta with sauce?
NO THESE FOODS ARE TERRIBLE FOR CHICKENS I ALWAYS LOOK UP TO SEE BEFORE I GIVE ANYTHING TO MY CHICKENS

Back
Top Bottom