Are There any non-crowing rooster breeds?

a couple of months ago i had my first chicks - i was so excited - i care for them (meaning that i made sure "mum" had enough food and water and they had enough of the baby food also.) They grew up fast - one was definately a male and the other we thought was a female. With 7 other hens we didn't think that we would have a problem. Now we find out the other was a male also. so now i have 3 roosters and 6 hens..... they are free range and have a lovely hen house but i don't like to see them "fighting" - they are NOT actually fighting but just testing the waters. I know i need to get a new home for atleast 1 of them but can 2 roosters live together peacefully if i get more hens ?

Quote:
Why not?

I have ELEVEN mature roosters in my flock, and they don't fight. They all get along just fine. Sometimes there is some poaturing, some hackle-flaring, but that's about it. Mostly just to remind the other rooster where he stands in the pecking order hierarchy.

With plenty of hens, any number of roosters can co-exist.

Hi, I have completed studies in psychology, including chicken behaviour, at university. The pineal gland and a chicken's circadian rhythm play a major part in waking and sleeping and also crowing behaviour. It is interesting to read the available research which explains very well why poultry brains are set to the rising and setting sun as well as 'light' from other sources. cheers

if they grow up together they should work out the squabbling and rank from the very beginning. also, just like sisters and brothers or peers, or among dogs. if u introduce a new rooster, thereing lies the problems... we have five roosters and about 8 hens among my husband's thai breed, but when he introduced a new rooster (one that he had raised separately, here at our place) , he lost his life in one smack from the head male.

Back
Top Bottom