Are there any other whole-life unschoolers here?

My DH and I were both homeschooled through very different methods, and I can see validity in them both.

I think the important point has already been covered. With parent participation, almost any method will work, and without it any method (including Public Schooling) will fail.

Personally, we will be doing a lot of almost unschooling- that is, their individual interests will be encouraged and guided to gain most of their schooling from those life experiences, and some subjects will be more scheduled, mainly to gain the dicsipline needed to 'just do it', not bacause I think they will learn better that way.

Now, to get back to the OPs discusion- We have been doing a lot of learning about chickens, with our first batch of eggs hatching last month. I have been doing 'how to teach your chind to read in 100 easy lessons' with my 4 yr old DD. We started last year, and have taken breaks to move, have a new baby, and just whenever we felt like it. We are a little over half way through.

Everyone is so surprised to see a 4 yr old reading, but to me it is just what her personality is like! My DS couldnt care less, and I am sure he will be older when he starts. Noone should feel bad that an eight year old struggles still, I know high school graduates who cant read any better then that, so look how long you have to improve!!
lol.png

About gardening, we were shopping yesterday, and DD saw some gardening gloves. Now we have to get "kid gardening gloves' 'kid shovels', (pink of course) and 'kid hoes and rakes'. She says, "Mom, when you are ready, we will have to come back here and get this stuff cause I want to plant seeds with you!"

My son was reading some of thise posts with me and he asked me what unschooling was.

I explained best I could,

He said that he wants to do Unschooling. I asked him what he would want to learn?

(I thought he was going to say video games, he loves playing his games and wants to be a computer game designer/programmer)

Anyway, he said that he wants to learn Science.

I was rather surprised to say the least
smile.png

Quote:
Isnt it great when they do that?
big_smile.png

Mine told me the other day she wants to be President.
Funny, but I looked at her and said "Ya know what girly? You can be if ya want someday"

I am waiting for her to come home and tell me more than once a week that she is "bored with school" Then I will look more into it.

Last edited:
Quote:
My dgd learned to read from same book. How easy it was and yes, around four and five yrs. old. She loves to read silently, shared reading outloud is not so much fun for her, but it helps the teaching experience. She's in fourth grade now and when we read out loud together, we end up talking about everything from religion to science to history to personal interactions and motives. Yahoo for homeschooling of all sorts.
wee.gif

Quote:
My dgd learned to read from same book. How easy it was and yes, around four and five yrs. old. She loves to read silently, shared reading outloud is not so much fun for her, but it helps the teaching experience. She's in fourth grade now and when we read out loud together, we end up talking about everything from religion to science to history to personal interactions and motives. Yahoo for homeschooling of all sorts.
wee.gif

My 6 year old goes off on tangents about everything during a book.
Makes bed times stories really LONG.
lol.png

Right now we are planning spring and summer trips.
Boston to the Swan Boats, a whale watch. The MFA and MOS. And the Mystic Seaport and Aquarium. If we are really lucky we will also be heading to Rhode Island and Maine this summer

Back
Top Bottom