Emu Hatch - Signs of life

Strawberry74

Songster
Mar 11, 2022
The thrill of the hatch.... well, kind of. I wish I could "know" if there is actually dino life developing in my 10 emu eggs! Tomorrow is day 25 for the 1st three eggs and the others are about 4 to 5 days behind.

Does anyone have ANY experience with earlier signs of life in these giant eggs!? I am dying here. For a candling addict with duck, chicken and goose eggs, this is really testing me.

Can you hear a heartbeat or movement with a stethoscope? Do they ever wiggle at this point in incubation? Please tell me someone out there knows some way of giving me a window into these beautiful eggs!

Not personal experience, but years of discussions here:

Dad gets wiggles about half way through, and cheeps in the last two weeks.

Supreme Emu

PS Does he stand to turn the eggs?

PPS Is he looking tired yet?

Not personal experience, but years of discussions here:

Dad gets wiggles about half way through, and cheeps in the last two weeks.

Supreme Emu

PS Does he stand to turn the eggs?

PPS Is he looking tired yet?
I am incubating the eggs in an incubator and hand turning them. I wish I knew if any were developing! These eggs are giving me a lesson in patience!

@Pyxis
I see you are an emu hatcher... any experience with early life detection? Thanks!

I've had eggs wiggle as early as day 29 :) Of course, most take longer and some never wiggle at all and then hatch, lol.

You could try the heat test though and see how that goes. Take the eggs out of the incubator for a few minutes to let them cool a bit, then feel each side. The air cell will cool. The other end, though, will stay warmer if there's a chick in there. I've found this to be fairly accurate by day 25.

I've had eggs wiggle as early as day 29 :) Of course, most take longer and some never wiggle at all and then hatch, lol.

You could try the heat test though and see how that goes. Take the eggs out of the incubator for a few minutes to let them cool a bit, then feel each side. The air cell will cool. The other end, though, will stay warmer if there's a chick in there. I've found this to be fairly accurate by day 25.
Thank you for the idea! I'll pull them out, check the lean factor so I know which end is the aircell and then feel them after about 10 minutes. Of course I'll be watching them until I'm cross eyed to see if they wiggle! Oh the hours I am sure to spend watching for wiggles 😂

Well I tried the cooling thing and I think one side of the egg felt warmer on the 3 original set eggs. They are at day 27 today. In addition while they were out I put a toothpick on top of them and whistled and talked to them (so glad no one else was home) and I swear I saw movement! I guess my eyes could've been playing tricks on me, but I think I did in all three eggs! 🤞

:pop I'm following! Please keep us updated!

I wish I could keep emus but I live in Australia and they are native here. It's so unfair, but there's definitely a good reason for it.

Can't wait to see what happens :love:D

Back
Top Bottom