Are these duck nails normal? Or anything to worry about?

biscotti

In the Brooder
Jul 27, 2023
Hi!

It's been a while since I've been in here, and I was curious for people's opinions of my boy's nails. Without looking closely they seem fine (and honestly, my initial instinct is that they are) but I'm new to having ducks so I want to have other other people's opinions. I never really noticed it before.

His middle nails curl more down and inward slightly than my other ducks' and it doesnt seem to affect him in any way, but should I be worried about any future issues? I'm probably being a little overly helicopter parent for this lol

1000078852.jpg

1000078847.jpg

Hi!

It's been a while since I've been in here, and I was curious for people's opinions of my boy's nails. Without looking closely they seem fine (and honestly, my initial instinct is that they are) but I'm new to having ducks so I want to have other other people's opinions. I never really noticed it before.

His middle nails curl more down and inward slightly than my other ducks' and it doesnt seem to affect him in any way, but should I be worried about any future issues? I'm probably being a little overly helicopter parent for this lol

View attachment 3711369
View attachment 3711374
I love their snake skin legs lol

gives him a better grip on that icy snow :)
but seriously I think it's fine Just check every so often if it needs clipping in case it grows in a circle and grows into his footy. Some of my ducks' nails are weird too
Thanks so much for the reply! I'll definitely keep an eye on them to make sure that doesn't happen. He's not even a year old yet, so I guess only time will tell.

Thanks so much for the reply! I'll definitely keep an eye on them to make sure that doesn't happen. He's not even a year old yet, so I guess only time will tell.
I used to have a German Shepherd mix dog with six toes (on each of her back legs) She had an extra one in the back that had a curved nail, and it grew circular and got caught on things if i didn’t keep it clipped.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom