Are there anyways to deter foxes?

I keep the birds locked up during breeding season, from December until June. I have a Livestock Guardian, a Pyrenees / Akbash cross. He is 130 lbs, and his name is Zeus. He is a good boy and good with the turkeys, chickens, goats, horses, and the house dog Apollo. I did have a problem with foxes a few years ago before I got Zeus. A vixen killed a bunch of young turkeys and loose cockerels who were roosted on top of my haystack, she killed 20 and took 1. It took a few days to get it under control, overall she destroyed nearly 100 birds( all free ranged cockerels and turkeys) and only took a few carcasses away. She was playing with the birds, just tearing wings off and leaving them or biting the necks. It all stopped when I got Zeus. The hens and pullets are penned up most of the time to keep them safe. Most of the turkeys are smart enough to roost in the rafters high enough that the predators can't catch them.

Bit disappointed in the direction of this thread. I was hoping for serious discussions on predator control, I guess not a real problem for most...?
I think it probably depends upon the area, whether or not other types of food sources are abundant or lacking. The main objective is eating. What seems to be easiest to catch, such as any animal that already seems "captive" or kept in a restricted area, such as coop? So hungry predator already figures, here's an opportunity to eat, without having to chase dinner for miles. The idea of a fresh chicken dinner that's not running or flying across the country is appealing, but if the wild animal cannot get to them, it will either try harder, digging or chewing a way in, or seek out other sources. If you happen to live in a very remote area, without people leaving out trash, food for their cats or dogs, birdfeeders, or a lack of rabbits with no areas of brush, shrubs bird feeders, other critters to live & hide in, & your place is one of few among miles of barren prairie, then those predators are going to focus on your place for potential dinner. I've been fortunate where I am, a combination of predator proof pens & many other food sources. My next step is electric fence around a free range area. I'd also love a Maremma pup to raise with my flock.

I kinda like how threads go, all kinds of ideas, information, experiences & humor are shared.

Last edited:
Are there anyways to deter foxes. Has it worked for you? If so whats it called?
My best recommendation is to get territorial breeds. I live in a neighborhood with coyotes, foxes, raccoons, bald eagles, and ospreys and have had lots of luck with a large flock of territorial birds. Anything mixed with a Rhode Island Red will do. My chickens had a dust-up with a flock of ravens the other day and came out unscathed.

My best recommendation is to get territorial breeds. I live in a neighborhood with coyotes, foxes, raccoons, bald eagles, and ospreys and have had lots of luck with a large flock of territorial birds. Anything mixed with a Rhode Island Red will do. My chickens had a dust-up with a flock of ravens the other day and came out unscathed.
Wow that's different, my chickens actually like the ravens & crows, who always chase off hawks. At the sound of the "caw, caw, caw" all chickens look to the sky as it usually means a hawk is around. My pigeons, when flying around the way they flock up, sometimes a crow will join them for a few laps. I guess we have congenial crows here. They just don't care for hawks or seagulls.

I think it probably depends upon the area, whether or not other types of food sources are abundant or lacking. The main objective is eating. What seems to be easiest to catch, such as any animal that already seems "captive" or kept in a restricted area, such as coop? So hungry predator already figures, here's an opportunity to eat, without having to chase dinner for miles. The idea of a fresh chicken dinner that's not running or flying across the country is appealing, but if the wild animal cannot get to them, it will either try harder, digging or chewing a way in, or seek out other sources. If you happen to live in a very remote area, without people leaving out trash, food for their cats or dogs, birdfeeders, or a lack of rabbits with no areas of brush, shrubs bird feeders, other critters to live & hide in, & your place is one of few among miles of barren prairie, then those predators are going to focus on your place for potential dinner. I've been fortunate where I am, a combination of predator proof pens & many other food sources. My next step is electric fence around a free range area. I'd also love a Maremma pup to raise with my flock.

I kinda like how threads go, all kinds of ideas, information, experiences & humor are shared.
Electric is my best bet, I have fox, coyote, fisher, possum, raccoons, bobcat, and the like. All which can be controlled with electric fencing. Zap!

I’ll also need a cover on the actual run.

Back
Top Bottom