Are These 7 month old Gold Laced Orpinton's Rooster's...

cmccindy

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 25, 2012
Missouri
We bought these two Gold Laced Orpingtons in April. They were 3 months old. These pictures were taken on 9/7/14... We were told they were female. We love the Orpington breed and wanted to add to our flock. We lost 3 of our ladies last year. Long story short, we are now convinced that we have two Roo's. We have never had a rooster, much less two and this would be real problem for us at this point in our experience. We currently have 1 buff orpington and 4 barred rocks. We got into chickens for the eggs and we also love our ladies. We love our boys(?) also, but they would present us with huge problems. Please help if you have any idea what we have and what we should do. I read the suggestions for pictures and hopefully these will be clear enough to help.

Do u want to keep them if so u could just block of some of your coop or make one just for them

I you don't want to keep them u could just sell them on Craigslist of something

Jstra123

Thanks, I was 99.9% sure. Feeling stupid it took so long to notice, it was actually the attempt of Lacey, now Acey, to crow like a rooster that was the tipping point on Sunday. There was that little part of me that was in denial. We don't want them to breed with our ladies, heaven knows what we would end up with and we certainly don't need them running from 2 Roo's. LOL

We are trying to get a hold of the breeder we bought them from. Hoping they will trade them out for us. If I had a female, we might keep one of the roosters. This is a rare breed in the US apparently. They are very easy going and easy to get along with right now, not sure what will happen when they fully mature. Thinking that will be in the next few months? They have that easy going, lovable orpington disposition. They are also drop dead gorgeous birds, but that does not produce eggs.

We are trying to get a hold of the breeder we bought them from. Hoping they will trade them out for us. If I had a female, we might keep one of the roosters. This is a rare breed in the US apparently. They are very easy going and easy to get along with right now, not sure what will happen when they fully mature. Thinking that will be in the next few months? They have that easy going, lovable orpington disposition. They are also drop dead gorgeous birds, but that does not produce eggs.
Just so you know, some breeders will not take back birds onto their property that have left ( like me) so you may have to find a home for them another way, but they are handsome boys. Hope you can keep one.

Wow, I've never seen Gold Laced Orpingtons before! They're beautiful!

Yes, unfortunately, they're both 100% roos.

I've had very good luck with Craigslist. With how pretty and unique they are you ought to be able to find a home via Craigslist for at least one of them, probably both.

Back
Top Bottom