Are these Ameraucauna? and pullets or cockerels??

SullyD

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 13, 2013
Southwest, FL
Hi,

I am new to the whole wide world of chickens. I have been reading everything I can get my hands on about them and the specific breeds. I am looking for a smaller breed, friendly, blue/green eggs as well as shades of brown, and less flighty. My searches have led me to the Ameraucauna as one of the breeds that fit my criteria. I purchased 3 "true Ameraucauna" not EE eggs to hatch. I have never done any of this before! Well, two out of the three hatched. My first chick ever is the little black one. Have to say, I am in love with the whole chicken thing! Second one to hatch is the little yellow one. They will be two weeks old on the 27th of this month. Needless to say, I have no idea if you can tell the sex at this young age, but reading through many of the threads here, someone way more experienced than me may be able to tell. Also, can you tell if they are true Ameraucaunas or are they Easter Eggers. I will still love and care for them anyways, but I was kinda working on keeping some of the heritage breeds like the Cream Legbars, (which was the second batch of eggs I hatched and all of them hatched!),

and Wheaton Am., and buckeye to name a few. Also, what is the "belly butting" that they do mean?? I haven't seen any reference to that behavior in my reading. Thank you for all your help!

They look like easter eggers. These are true ameraucana chicks.

Also, can you get pictures of their wings a little closer?

They look like easter eggers. These are true ameraucana chicks.

Also, can you get pictures of their wings a little closer?

Ummmm, those don't look like ameraucanas, none of those colors are recognized. At the OP, yes, your chicks look like true ameraucanas, they have puffy cheeks, slate legs, and are pure white, and black. congrats on the chicks!!

Biue ameraucqunas don't have the brown feathers. I just paid $15 for pure breed show quality chicks. I have another 8 waiting to hatch. I love the ameraucaunas. They are very beautiful and friendly.

Ok, neither of my chicks have brown feathers. One seems black, not blue and the others feathers seem to be coming in white. Might that become a splash?

Ok, neither of my chicks have brown feathers. One seems black, not blue and the others feathers seem to be coming in white. Might that become a splash?
What color did you buy?

Eta. Duh. I just read you bought blue. I've never had blue Ameraucana, but I have had quite a few blue Andelusians. They come in blue, black and splash. So, I guess you have a black and splash. No blue.

Why would they have brown feathers?

Last edited:
What color did you buy?

Eta. Duh. I just read you bought blue. I've never had blue Ameraucana, but I have had quite a few blue Andelusians. They come in blue, black and splash. So, I guess you have a black and splash. No blue.

Why would they have brown feathers?
I think the confusion is from a previous reply showing chicks with brown feathers, which are not my chicks. I only have the two in the beginning of the thread, (black and yellow)

Yes there are blue ameraucaunas and morans. I also have 2 blue andalusians.... Which may end up on the dinner table when they fatten up. They are loud and keep on jumping on my hens, poor girls are running all the time.

Back
Top Bottom