Are These Buff Orpington Chicks? (1-2 Weeks)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LaraLou, May 27, 2012.

1. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I didn't think to mention that :) Yes, always look for pink legs when picking out BOs.

2. LaraLou

LaraLou Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2012
    Tulsa, OK
    Definitely sure they're not BOs now. We might just have to learn about meat chickens real quick. Time will tell. :-X

Does anyone have any thoughts on Mystery Chick who seems to have reddish colored feathers coming in?

3. LaraLou

LaraLou Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2012
    Tulsa, OK
    Upon closer investigation, I'm starting to get hope they are not a meat chicken (which wouldn't be the end of the world, but that's not what we were going for). Granted, they're only a 1-2 weeks old, but they are in no way more "meaty" than the new chicks I have. I'll post an update in a few days.

Thanks again for all the input!

4. DeansMill

DeansMill Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2014
    Near Albany, NY
    I ordered ten assorted brown layers from my pet chicken and got five... five! Of these... if they are cornish, I'm very irritated because they are supposed to be layers... I already got one that appears to be a dark cornish... so, six out of ten meat birds in a layer assortment? Hmmmmm. Even if they are sex links, what a cop out for an assortment.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Does My Pet Chicken even have Cornish cross? Do you have pics?

6. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    If you ordered assorted brown layers, then they are probably a type of red/gold sexlink. Dark Cornish are not the same thing as Cornish Cross meat birds. Dark Cornish might not be quite as prolific at laying as some other breeds, but they will regularly turn out 3 to 5 brown eggs a week.

7. DeansMill

Sep 10, 2014
    Near Albany, NY
    Oh really?? Then I believe she is a dark cornish... they have a list of possibilities and dark Cornish is on there. And I am thinking the more I study that golden comet is the breed of the other five. Either way, everyone is pretty and healthy. I just didn't want meat birds because I read they eat lot.

8. Colorado Chick

Colorado Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014

I know this is a 3 year old post, but what did they wind up being? At least according to the date in the top right corner this is a three year old post! :) my guess on your mystery chic is red or gold sex link

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  9. DeansMill

Sep 10, 2014
    Near Albany, NY
    I noticed this was an old post after I posted on it... lol. I googled buff Orpington chicks to try to match up photos and this popped up... so I would love to know the outcome also... haha. And I'm leaning towards golden comet for my batch of five that look like this.

10. MaratManor

MaratManor Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2016
    Brunswick, Georgia
    Can I ask you whet breed your mystery chick turned out to be! I have two identical and can't figure it out!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by