Are these chicks big enough to put with the rest?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jhorra, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Jhorra

Jhorra Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2013
    We have four chickens that are about seven months old, one of them being a Bantam. We got two more that you can see in the picture. We've had them near each other like you seen here, separated by the fencing. You can kind of see here, the new chicks are almost three months old. They're bigger than the Bantam at this point, but are they big enough to integrate?

[​IMG]

2. TTracy

TTracy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    Western Michigan
    I would think it would be ok to add them at this point. I usually wait until the babies are at least half the size of the older hens.
    The older hens are going to pick on them as they figure out the new pecking order, but if you feel they are being too rough on the little ones,
    you could separate, and try again in another month.
    Good Luck!

3. Jhorra

Jhorra Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2013
    How about the food? Can the little ones go on the older chickens food now?

4. KuroKitsune

KuroKitsune Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2013
    Kansas
    as long as the food is not a layer feed(added calcium) which is harmful to young chicks yes they could eat whatever the adults eat.

my cochins are 8 weeks and i just started giving them an all flock pellet feed and they really enjoy it...the all flock is low in calcium so its ok for them...if your older chickens are laying you could switch to and all flock or flockraiser type feed and just provide them a dish of oyster shell free choice

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by