Are these cockerels or pullets?

Ben a 620

In the Brooder
Dec 28, 2020
I am very new to owning chickens just this year I got my first flock. The newest members are still very young and I am unsure as to what the are. I actually don’t even know the breed so if you do please let me know. I think they’re all pullets but I heard that if there’s a rooster present their rooster features will not show for a little while longer. I also am not sure if the cold of December could be affecting their combs and waddles. I am not sure how true that is but that’s why I’m here to ask since there is a rooster in the flock. Currently they are about 4 1/2 months old.
The first one I’m pretty sure is a pullet but the second and third is where it gets complicated.
935D151C-F634-44FC-9503-CD9A8E58DEEC.jpeg

This one I’m most unsure about as it has a very rooster looking tail to me and the comb and waddles are bigger than the first one.
D5115DB5-7917-4839-8E71-11ADAE8DC10B.jpeg
93FC1A8B-3D28-4454-9AAF-BB47F91C35BB.jpeg
And the third one I just don’t have any idea. It has a bigger comb and waddle than the first one and about the same as the second.
15C70526-1EA1-4D0F-82E3-958125BCB98D.jpeg
6B4E2272-A5E2-4AB4-A4D7-582C32A54BEF.jpeg
99DB716A-5939-4D2C-9F5E-E48FBBC2A3DA.jpeg
Sorry for the bad picture quality, it is due to me and a little of my phone camera just being bad.

All girls, 3 black sexlink, one production red.
combs and waddles and tails aren't a true gauge of gender, you're looking for longer feathers on the neck called hackles and longer pointy feathers on either side of the tail called saddles for boys.
girls have them too, just not pronounced.
edit, the rooster feathers would have been very apparent by now, you're good to go!

All girls, 3 black sexlink, one production red.
combs and waddles and tails aren't a true gauge of gender, you're looking for longer feathers on the neck called hackles and longer pointy feathers on either side of the tail called saddles for boys.
girls have them too, just not pronounced.
I thought they were, the only one making me question that was the second one due to that very bent and long top tail feather.

nope, just odd feathering I have a chicken that has a chronic 'cowlick' on her tail.
Well thanks for letting me know, now that I know they’re pullets do you know anywhere that I can order started cockerels? Started pullets are very easy to order but I can’t find any cockerels.

Well thanks for letting me know, now that I know they’re pullets do you know anywhere that I can order started cockerels? Started pullets are very easy to order but I can’t find any cockerels.
Craigslist. but it being winter, it's probably slim pickings.
Hardly anyone wants started cockerels, so nobody carries them.
Why do you want some? If you want to breed, you need only one roo to 8-12 hens.

Craigslist. but it being winter, it's probably slim pickings.
Hardly anyone wants started cockerels, so nobody carries them.
Why do you want some? If you want to breed, you need only one roo to 8-12 hens.
I see, I guess I’ll just have to wait till spring. And the reason I want another rooster is due to the fact that it is a Silkie rooster. These guys have been living with silkies and done so fine for now. Since silkies are so nice I thought they’d treat young pullets right and they did. However, I don’t want to have a silkie and production red or black sex link cross.

Back
Top Bottom