Are these emu eggs fertile? Hatchalong

Pics
What is the point of the bullet on the egg?

So you can see the smallest of movements. It only being 29 days into incubation, the chick can barely move the egg. Having that on the egg shows, about 3/4 of the way into the video, that the egg moved. Like an antenna.

Do they mingle with chickens alright? I’d be afraid of the chickens getting stepped on or attacked for a tasty snack.

Do they mingle with chickens alright? I’d be afraid of the chickens getting stepped on or attacked for a tasty snack.

The emus tolerate the chickens and turkeys. Only one chicken out of 50+ got stepped on by accident in two years. Her leg was snapped in two, but I splinted it and it healed. Shes still alive and raised a batch of chicks. But the emus were raised with them and that could have made a difference.

Last edited:
The emus tolerate the chickens and turkeys. Only one chicken out of 50+ got stepped on my accident in two years. Her leg was snapped in two, but I splinted it and it healed. Shes still alive and raised a batch of chicks. But the emus were raised with them and that could have made a difference.
Do you house them together? Do they have different needs for housing or fencing than chickens?

The emus are in a 1 acre area with everyone that has feathers. The dogs can’t get in and the emus keep smaller vermin out. They sleep where they want to. I set up a temporary covered area and as soon as I set it up, they moved to another spot. They could go in the covered run but they prefer to stand in the pouring rain.

Heres a picture from a few minutes ago. The emus have a new spot which is to the left in a corner under a tree. So I put a tarp up and blocked wind from the side. That’s where they’ve been sleeping for the past month.
9B20CA5C-C33F-424F-8389-46FBFA953AD5.jpeg

The emus are in a 1 acre area with everyone that has feathers. The dogs can’t get in and the emus keep smaller vermin out. They sleep where they want to. I set up a temporary covered area and as soon as I set it up, they moved to another spot. They could go in the covered run but they prefer to stand in the pouring rain.

Heres a picture from a few minutes ago. The emus have a new spot which is to the left in a corner under a tree. So I put a tarp up and blocked wind from the side. That’s where they’ve been sleeping for the past month.
View attachment 2962861
Do the emus do any 'guarding' for the flock, kind of like geese do? I imagine just them being there is enough to scare even some larger predators from attacking the flock. They look like dinosaurs! 😅

Do the emus do any 'guarding' for the flock, kind of like geese do? I imagine just them being there is enough to scare even some larger predators from attacking the flock. They look like dinosaurs! 😅
They don’t like smaller vermin like opossum and raccoons. If they were to come in the fenced area, they would get stomped on. The emus hiss and stomp at smaller mammals. My weenie went in and they didn’t like him one bit. So weenie stays clear of the chicken area.
3A8E3070-CD3F-45E4-B132-6687CCAE567E.jpeg

They don’t stop aerial predators as much as I wish. It’s never good when you find one of these piles of feathers… this was yesterday.
C4B07DF4-A395-494A-A931-DF26B39F207A.jpeg

But overall, they do help. The bird that was lost was a young mixed breed pullet. She must not have known where to run 😕

Back
Top Bottom