Are these golden cuckoos?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Triplecross, Oct 15, 2016.

1. Triplecross

Triplecross Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Southern Michigan
    If not Golden Cuckoo Marans, what are they?

[​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I"m not terribly familiar with golden cuckoo, but I'm very comfortable with silver based cuckoo and barred. I'm not seeing that on these birds. The one on the right looks to have incomplete lacing. The one in the back has the stripe on the feather I associate with wild type or partridge coloring.

Where did you get them? golden cuckoos are still pretty rare, I'd think the seller would have known if that's what they had. Right off, I'm thinking barnyard mix, but I'd like to see pics of them standing when they're fully feathered.

3. Triplecross

Jan 6, 2013
    Southern Michigan
    Here's a pic of the father. I was told he is a Cuckoo Marans.

How are golden cuckoos "made"?[​IMG][​IMG]

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    He does look like a cuckoo Marans. Regular silver based, not golden.

golden cuckoos are made just like any other variety. You breed two cuckoo Marans to each other, and the offspring is the same breed as the parent. If the parents are different breeds, or different color varieties of the same breed, the offspring are going to be mixed color or mixed breed.

I think you could eventually get to a golden cuckoo by this start, depending on who the momma of the chicks are. But, it would take several generations of back crossing to get the correct color, type and egg color. It won't be a one time deal.

5. Triplecross

Jan 6, 2013
    Southern Michigan
    Ok thanks

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by