Are these good bantam breeds?

Kiley_Mahan

Chirping
Apr 5, 2020
So I recently made a post about which breeds you BYC members suggest, and had plenty of feedback that I was very thankful for. I’ve decided on 2 breeds, one needing to be male(a Cochin/Pekin) rooster, and one to be female(a Silkie) hen. I really like both breeds and I know that they are very desirable, but was wanting to double check one last time before I buy a couple. Is a Cochin and a Silkie the way to go or are there some things I should be aware of? Do you think the Cochin/Pekin bantam rooster can breed my Silver Duckwing OEG bantam hen as well?

I do not breed chickens, but if I did,,,,,,,,, I would not breed mixes myself. The only exception would be if I wanted a Naked Neck version of a breed. then I would mix a NN into the combo. I just LUV:love the Transylvanian look:thumbsup
Your cochin/pekin rooster can do the dirty deed if he wants with the OEG.:gig
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome

Depending on the purpose of breeding you might not want to crossbreed because then if you wanted to sell them it might be hard. I’ve heard different people who like their batams just for eggs and crossing dosen’t necessarily make the chicken a better layer. I myself would also just like to have purebred bantams to breed but it dosen’t matter heaps.
Plus I love Cochins and would recommend them to you. They’re so pretty just by themselves :)

I have heard that in mixed breed flocks, Silkies (and Polish) sometimes are targeted for bullying because they look so different. Just a thought to consider!

The Cochin can breed whatever he wants. Mine successfully bred with a hen well over twice his size! And he also bred to a Rosecomb bantam. He was the most aggressive animal of any species that I've ever owned. Cochins are famous for their docile temperaments, but I've found that a chicken's breed does not always determine its personality. I may have just had one odd case, but who knows?

Back
Top Bottom