Are these guinea eggs normal?

I think I may try that. Someone else keeps laying on the ground, I found one frozen this morning & half eaten. I hate that. Why guineas have to lay on the ground is beyond me.
Guineas lay on the ground because they are ground dwelling birds and it is their instinct to lay on the ground. First time layers commonly drop their eggs anywhere until they figure out what is going on.

Guineas lay on the ground because they are ground dwelling birds and it is their instinct to lay on the ground. First time layers commonly drop their eggs anywhere until they figure out what is going on.
Yeah, a couple of them I've found were broken soft shells, hard to tell what the frozen one was, it looked super thin shelled. One guinea dogs a dusting hole and lays hers there.

Yeah, a couple of them I've found were broken soft shells, hard to tell what the frozen one was, it looked super thin shelled. One guinea dogs a dusting hole and lays hers there.
That may look like a dust bath but that is a typical guinea nest. If possible, they will dig it in a hidden place. Some hens will even bury their eggs.

So true. One walked through the back yard and just dropped it right behind the porch, found one in the middle of the driveway, found one on top of a truck in the barn, it’s been an Easter egg hunt.. I’m glad they’re done for a few months :)

That may look like a dust bath but that is a typical guinea nest. If possible, they will dig it in a hidden place. Some hens will even bury their eggs.
Do they bury them to gather a clutch to sit on or some other reason?
My oldest (Buckwheat) runs around frantically looking for that perfect spot, paces the fence between the chicken & duck pens (she eyeballs the space under the duck houses), runs back & forth.:wee Finally, I'll dig her a dust bath spot & she'll run for it like there's no tomorrow, and lays a marble egg within seconds! She likes the pre-dug dust baths! I don't know if or where the other 3 are laying. Their "hatchmate", a bantam cockerel, has been busy trying to breed them.:th They're not exactly okay with that yet.

So true. One walked through the back yard and just dropped it right behind the porch, found one in the middle of the driveway, found one on top of a truck in the barn, it’s been an Easter egg hunt.. I’m glad they’re done for a few months :)
:gig:lau
That reminds me I need to go hunt for frozen eggs out in the goat-yard. I hope they all would lay in the barn area, though I'm sure that's an unrealistic hope.:fl
20191110_104427.jpg

Do they bury them to gather a clutch to sit on or some other reason?
My oldest (Buckwheat) runs around frantically looking for that perfect spot, paces the fence between the chicken & duck pens (she eyeballs the space under the duck houses), runs back & forth.:wee Finally, I'll dig her a dust bath spot & she'll run for it like there's no tomorrow, and lays a marble egg within seconds! She likes the pre-dug dust baths! I don't know if or where the other 3 are laying. Their "hatchmate", a bantam cockerel, has been busy trying to breed them.:th They're not exactly okay with that yet.

:gig:lau
That reminds me I need to go hunt for frozen eggs out in the goat-yard. I hope they all would lay in the barn area, though I'm sure that's an unrealistic hope.:fl
View attachment 1958603
If you want them to lay in a particular spot, put fake eggs in the preferred place. Guineas prefer a hidden undisturbed place for their nests. It is common for guineas to use a communal nest. It is also common for guineas to abandon nests that are constantly being disturbed.

If you want them to lay in a particular spot, put fake eggs in the preferred place. Guineas prefer a hidden undisturbed place for their nests. It is common for guineas to use a communal nest. It is also common for guineas to abandon nests that are constantly being disturbed.
I put a huge tire in the enclosed yard, filled with hay, leaves & peat. I think I'll lean a couple boards up across it to make it more secluded, that may tempt them to it hopefully. Think that may work? Right now the chickens won't leave the tire alone, they're sure there's something wonderful in it!!!
20191110_141424.jpg

I put a huge tire in the enclosed yard, filled with hay, leaves & peat. I think I'll lean a couple boards up across it to make it more secluded, that may tempt them to it hopefully. Think that may work? Right now the chickens won't leave the tire alone, they're sure there's something wonderful in it!!!
View attachment 1958623
I have no idea whether or not it will work. Sometimes guineas that are kept with chickens will lay where they find eggs in a nest. If I was trying to make a nest that a guinea would use, I would make it so that the nest entrance was at ground level and possibly with an entrance and an exit. I would probably surround and cover the nest with small branches and brush.

Others have successfully created desirable nest sites by positioning hay or straw bales so they formed a covered "cave".

That recalls to mind that your flock will enjoy a "flake" from a bale of alfalfa to dig through if you toss it into their pen.

Back
Top Bottom