Are these guys still cockerels?

Quote:
Don't look at the comb and wattles. Many breeds don't have big ones, many shouldn't.

Look at the color, THEN comb and wattles. The first one has obvious boy color (girls can't have red shoulders on a black, blue, or splash bird) the second one sort of looks it too but there's no actual red there, and the comb/wattles are indeed small and dark. So the question relies on the back. I always look closely at the back, just between the wings of boys/girls this age.

A male will have very small, triangular, shiny feathers coming out. In a bird this color, they'll likely be red too.

Well the little one definitely has red too but also has no little triangular feathers coming in either. I look constantly. There is downy type feathers but no skinny ones and they are grayish not red.

I will try and get one of the kids to hold them today and get some pictures.

At the ages you say they are, Id have to say pullets on both. But I reserve the right to change my mind
idunno.gif

Edit. Well, not Im not sure again. The second one has a very dark comb for a boy, but those feathers along the back dont look girly to me.

Last edited:
I don't see any roos in any of your pics, they all look like pullets to me, if they are 6 months or there about surely roos should be obvious by now? via hackles, saddles and crowing, there isn't a hint of any of this.

Back
Top Bottom