Are these Hens too old to lay or am I doing something wrong

hithere753

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 19, 2010
Hi,

I got these 2 hens from craiglist and they are not laying. They look like Rhode Island Red. A third ornamental chicken is laying almost everyday so I think the feed and shelter is correct. One hen is laying a soft shell egg every 2 days or so. Can someone please take a look and let me know how old they are. I am thinking that they may be out of production? Please let me know what you think.

There just isn't a good way to judge age, just by a photo or by appearance, for that matter.

They are hatchery quality RIR/generic reds and the fact that they weren't laying probably why they were sold in the first place, Give them a few days to settle in. Secondly, be sure they have quality water and feed. Finally, dust them for mites/ticks and worm them, perhaps. Pests, both internal and external, can disrupt laying. If after these measures, they still don't lay? Perhaps you face a decision, but for now, proceed on the basis that they've stopped for a reason, or for a season, and with proper care, they will resume, even if that resumption isn't at the everyday, pullet year level of production.

Last edited:
Thanks for your advice Fred. I have had them for a little over a week now and usually keep them in a coop and run. We have been letting them free range for about 45 mins a day. The original owners just sent me a reminder to worm them since they were worming on a monthly schedule. I'll go and get some dust for mites to see if that is the problem. I was told that 1 of the hens should lay when the weather gets cooler. It has been in the 80's over here this week.

You definitely need to give them more time. Some birds will lay right away even with a big change such as a move, while other may stop laying for up to a month or so. Chickens do not handle the stress of changes very well. The 80s certainly shouldn't be too hot/stressful for laying.
Assuming the people you bought them from were upfront/honest, did they happen to mention an age on the birds? Just based on your photos, they look as if they were properly cared for, which is good.

ETA: Also, regarding the soft shelled eggs. It could be the changes/stress. It could also be that you need to offer her oyster shell on the side, free-choice. And it could be that she has egg tract issues, and that's part of the reason they sold her. Hopefully the people you bought her from are trustworthy though, and it's just one of the first two...

Last edited:
Teach1rus, the original owners were downsizing and the chickens were treated very well as pets. I picked them up with a list of all their favorite foods, worming schedule, coop, food and bedding. Unfortunately, they don't know the age of the chickens as they bought them from a farmer that only spoke Mexican and they English. They told me they have had them for about 1.5years but weren't real clear on egg laying history.

The reality is your original suspicion may prove right, in the end. It seems quite likely they are 3 years old and who knows? They could be 4 or 5 years old.

The modern red layers are called "production reds" for a reason. The genetics and selective breeding are pushed toward early laying and heavy laying. Fast and furious. Not so much slow and steady and long. All you can do, since you don't know the facts or their true age, is to stay with the good practices and wait and see.

Last edited:
ETA: Also, regarding the soft shelled eggs. It could be the changes/stress. It could also be that you need to offer her oyster shell on the side, free-choice. And it could be that she has egg tract issues, and that's part of the reason they sold her. Hopefully the people you bought her from are trustworthy though, and it's just one of the first two...

Yes - go buy oyster shell... now
big_smile.png

Good luck - post pictures when they recover from their ordeal.

I agree with Fred...if those people admitted that they'd had them for a 1.5 years, and they didn't get them as chicks (and it seems that would have come up if that'd been the case), then you could probably assume these girls were around 3 yrs. old, possibly older. If they're older birds, they certainly look good. My three yr. olds still lay pretty well, at least 4 eggs per week each. So all you can do is wait a few weeks till they get settled in and see what happens. I'd still offer the oyster shell on the side though...won't hurt anything at all and possibly could help.

Thank you all for your advice. I will get the oyster shells tommorrow. We have been feeding them crushed clam shells since we had a lot of steamed clams lately. I just picked up 2 more chickens from a lady relocating in the next town over. She had 7 chickens age 1-3 yrs old and said her oldest ones were the best layers as the younger ones didn't seem as interested in laying. I asked her for the best 2 layers. Hopefully I will find out in the next month or so if I am the biggest pushover for taking senior chickens. I now have 13 chickens ( 6 chicks) and the only one laying so far is the ornamental polish;)

Back
Top Bottom