Are these lumps under quail feet normal?

Rossi1969

Songster
Mar 22, 2018
Toronto, Ontario, CDA
image.jpeg
I just noticed my 8 week old quails have these lumps under their feet. They are not red and do no appear to be bothering them. I raise my birds as pets and for the eggs. They are on cage wire (1/2 inch) with a shelter area, a sand box, and a patch of grass to rest their feet from the wire. I let them exercise in a large screen tent while I scub and clean the cage every weekend. Is this normal or is it a beginning of bumble foot? I soaked their feet in warm Epson salt water yesterday but I wonder if I should be doing more....

Is there a dark spot in the center? Is there anything leaking from their foot? If not, and if the birds aren't showing any lameness, I don't think it's bumblefoot. Quail normally have a small pad on the bottom of their foot; that's the part that can get damaged and cause a bumblefoot infection. Can you get us a clearer picture?

edit: took a closer look, those dark spots are a bit worrying. good job on soaking them

image.jpeg
Is there a dark spot in the center? Is there anything leaking from their foot? If not, and if the birds aren't showing any lameness, I don't think it's bumblefoot. Quail normally have a small pad on the bottom of their foot; that's the part that can get damaged and cause a bumblefoot infection. Can you get us a clearer picture?

edit: took a closer look, those dark spots are a bit worrying. good job on soaking them
Nothing leaking, no lameness. The dark spot is dirt discolouration. It feels hard like a callus. I tried to take a close up.

Hmm, if the birds aren't lame (and you're sure that's just dirt) I'm inclined to think it's only their footpad. I sure hope so, at least. Bumblefoot can be hard to treat in such little birds, so it would be worth keeping a close eye on them just in case.

Back
Top Bottom