Are these mites or lice?

Pics
Sep 2, 2022
Central Alabama
My daughter just called me over to look at our eggs because they are covered in some sort of insects. These are eggs that were collected a few days ago and put into a basket. I didn't notice any bugs in the nesting boxes when I clean them periodically. They are made of wood so hard to clean, but I will disinfect them today. Thanks for any input!
Screenshot_20230310_090929_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230310_090920_Gallery.jpg
20230310_090638.jpg

If you look on your chicken's feathers around the vent is there anything that looks like gray dust sticking to the part of the feather right next to the body? If so it's probably lice.
This site has rather vivid pictures.
https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/
Thank you! I haven't looked at their vents because they are so skittish around me and my rooster is overprotective. But I'm gearing myself up to go down and somehow turn them upside down to look.

They are made of wood so hard to clean, but I will disinfect them today.
Permethrin spray.. will kill chicken parasites. Diatomatios earth is irrelevent in humid conditions like mine.. and nor is it effective at treating an infestation.

Also potentially dangerous to anyone involved including chickens respiratory system.

Getting them doesn't mean you're not clean enough.. it means your chickens have access to the great outdoors and nature as they should (if possible)!

Do the inspection after dark using a flashlight ort head lamp.. never chase a bird again! Roosters included..

Are they moving? I can;t even zoom in enough to see any legs.

Back
Top Bottom