Are these mites or lice?

Permethrin spray.. will kill chicken parasites. Diatomatios earth is irrelevent in humid conditions like mine.. and nor is it effective at treating an infestation.

Also potentially dangerous to anyone involved including chickens respiratory system.

Getting them doesn't mean you're not clean enough.. it means your chickens have access to the great outdoors and nature as they should (if possible)!

Do the inspection after dark using a flashlight ort head lamp.. never chase a bird again! Roosters included..

Are they moving? I can;t even zoom in enough to see any legs.
Oh yes, they are active! I'm going to go in at night and treat them. I really want to use the Elector product it's just expensive. Plus will have to wait to receive it. They get to go outside and roam in a wooded area. I try to keep their coop clean but need to do.a better job with the nesting boxes. They are wooden so I wasn't sure how to.disinfect, just been taking out shavings periodically.

I'll get the permethin then. They probably sell something at Tra tor supply. Or should I just wait til elector comes in?
Tractor supply will carry it. I usually buy mine from the horse/larger livestock section. You can buy a concentrate and it has the mix directions inside for poultry.
I haven't used elector PSP before. How long is it going to take to come in?

Tractor supply will carry it. I usually buy mine from the horse/larger livestock section. You can buy a concentrate and it has the mix directions inside for poultry.
I haven't used elector PSP before. How long is it going to take to come in?
I just ordered it and it supposed to be here in 3 days. It sounded really effective from the website linked here. No egg withdrawal period and only one treatment. Just don't know what to do til it arrives except clean out nesting boxes and coop. Maybe bathe chickens in Dawn.

I had to zoom in and lighten the pics.....I don't think these bugs are either lice or mites.
They look to be some kind of beetle.
1678464675735.png

@Frazzled chicken tender
Check on the birds skin before treating.
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1678464778730.png

I just ordered it and it supposed to be here in 3 days. It sounded really effective from the website linked here. No egg withdrawal period and only one treatment. Just don't know what to do til it arrives except clean out nesting boxes and coop. Maybe bathe chickens in Dawn.
I don't think waiting 3 days is a big deal. 👍

I had to zoom in and lighten the pics.....I don't think these bugs are either lice or mites.
They look to be some kind of beetle.
View attachment 3427466

@Frazzled chicken tender
Check on the birds skin before treating.
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 3427470
Really! I wonder if some kind of beetle infestation. I live in Alabama. Very humid and wooded here. Thanks for the tip on adding location!

Back
Top Bottom