Are these peck marks?

There is something else going on.
Dry pox is a virus spread by mosquitoes,
and just like a mosquito bite leave it be and it will go away,
it doesn't cause weakness.

Is it hot where you live?
Is she eating and drinking and pooping OK?
Just how does she appear 'weak'?
Yes, I am in SoCal. It has been in the high 90's. This morning I found the BO sitting next to the nesting boxes (but not in them) When she flew down, she was very unstable on her legs and kind of landed on her chest. She ate a little this morning, but not as much as she normally does, just a few uninterested pecks. After putting her near the water, she drank a lot. (Same thing happened yesterday when this first started happening). I looked at the poop of the whole flock, haven't seen any worms but have not had a chance to confirm her pooping. There is no rattling or wheezing, but with the BO a continuous non stop panting. She pants even in the evening when it is not hot and the others are not panting.
As for the first hen, the RIR, I should have clarified that she is acting normal. Aside from the limp that happened a few days ago, (and appears to have resolved itself) she is perfectly active and not lethargic like the BO.
Also, I don't think either of them are egg bound. The BO is not standing like a penguin, fluffing up or straining. Yesterday the BO was in the nest box and I think she did lay an egg. I should have clarified that while the RIR had not laid an egg in a while, I do believe she laid an egg at least day before yesterday.

Ok, just keep an eye on her. It could easily be the heat. Mine drink a lot when the temps soar, and don't eat as much. As the temps climb through the day, they dig a cool spot in the shade, and park. I have fans in my coops, and when it's extremely hot, I put on the misters. I also make wet spots for them.

It has been in the high 90's.
Heat stress is likely.

I give a dose of Sav-a-Chick electrolytes/vitamins about once a week during heat waves. It really seems to help....started this after they saved a heat stroked hen once.
Can mix up a smaller amount, just wrap the packet tight and store in a dry cool place.
Always have plain water available too.
full

BIG(9x14x2") chunks of ice last all day for wading, sitting, and sipping.
Much more useful to the chickens than frozen foods and treats.
full

Make space in your freezer!
full

Okay, will follow your advice aart. She's the most affected, the other birds are panting too but are not lethargic and are still eating normally. The RIR laid an egg today.

I think I found her poo. Looks normal but another chicken had an orange watery poo. Also pics of the way she stands/sits next to the water (if her position will be able to tell you anything). I'll see if I can find sav-a-chick. Yeah, that makes sense. IMG_3084.JPG IMG_3081.JPG IMG_3083.JPG IMG_3087.JPG

Update: This sav-a-chick stuff really seems to work! The BO's up and about today, still lagging a bit but was foraging with the flock. She did not jump up to the roost today (didn't yesterday either) but was much more responsive. Thinking she's on the way to full recovery. Thanks a lot guys!

Back
Top Bottom